1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1 - Tinnitus Elimination

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Enrique, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hi,

I was able to resolve my chronic pain issues by using the mindbody approach several years ago and have, in many ways, change the path that my life has taken. From a mental and physical perspective I feel fantastic. I'm doing things now in my 40's that I never would have conceived of doing.

There is one thing,however, that just very recently, I have come to the conclusion is also a mindbody symptom. Since I was a young boy I've suffered from tinnitus in my left ear. It's not so loud that it causes me distress, but when it's quiet or when I turn my attention to it, I can hear it. And sometimes it's louder than others.

I believe it all started after a firecracker exploded near my ear. I must have been between 8 and 10 years old at the time, I can't really remember exactly, but in talking with my mother, we agreed I was around that age. I was living in El Salvador at the time and almost all little boys played with firecrackers or "cuetes" as we called them. They were sold at the local market and anyone could by them. One day I was being a boy and experimenting with I could blow up with some of the larger firecrackers and one went off near my ear. I was very afraid that I had lost my hearing. I remember having that sensation like when you go to a loud concert and your ears feel clogged. I also heard very loud ringing. I don't remember if I cried, but I know that it was quite a shock and I think I quit playing with cuetes on the spot.

I don't remember if that ringing went away and came back later... it's all kind of fuzzy in my memory, but I do recall going to hearing tests as a boy and sitting in the quite room while the hearing test was administered. You know the one where they play tones of different frequencies and loudness in your ears and you have to acknowledge that you've heard it. I recall that when they put the headphones on, I heard a ringing in my left ear. I didn't know what tinnitus was, but I heard the ringing. I knew that when they played a tone that matched the tone of my ear ringing, that I couldn't hear it. The test results showed that I had hearing loss in my left ear. Ever since then, I've believed that I have hearing loss in my left ear.

However, now I'm not so sure. I wonder if the hearing loss isn't really a loss as much as it is the ringing in my ear caused by TMS/PPD and that ringing masks the tones from the test. This is one thing I'm not sure of. But one thing I am sure of is that this tinnitus can go away. I've read of other people's successes and I am very hopeful that it can go away for me too.

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Enrique:

I have a few friends who have tinnitus. One is my husband. He played loud rock and roll for years - think his might be a continual thing that may not go away. Plus he listens to music turned up very loudly on headphones.

It could be TMS for you though. The experience really scared you and you say you never did it again. And you now have a little ringing reminder in your ear.

Perhaps exploring that incident and feeling the fear again will make it go away. Tell it the fear is not real. But I think first trying to go back to that experience is key. You can try it with meditation, going back to where you lived, experience the sights and sounds. Really get into what your former home was like. See if you can even smell the smells. Once you've done that - then see if you can see yourself with the firecrackers and see what happened that day. Maybe "grown up" Enrique can comfort "little Enrique" and the problem will get better.

Hope this works for you.

BG

3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

In one TMS book I read (can't remember which one) the author (possibly Sarno) says that tinnitus that isn't explained by neurological tests is often TMS. I notice when my TMS pain is "jumping" to different parts of my head and neck, it sometimes moves into ear ringing right before it goes away.

4. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Thanks for the advice BG. I will try that.

Veronica, I remember reading that also. At the time, I didn't think it applied to me because of all the nocebos I've gotten over the years. Now I agree with Dr. Sarno.

I've spent the last couple of days reading the material that is on the wiki or referenced. There is a lot to read and I'm not done yet, but I continue to be hopeful for the day that I don't hear that old, familiar ring.

Beach-Girl likes this.