1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 of Structured Program

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jorgem12, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

My name is Jorge and I am 23 years old. I have been on and off with TMS for the past 3 years. But, the most recent flare up has lasted over 15 months. Only in early October I learned about the Healing Back Pain book and since then I have realized TMS is my issue not a herniated disc. I fully know that I have TMS as I have seen myself on the pages of Healing Back Pain and the MindBody Prescription.

The only real worry I have is that I feel like sometimes I am trying hard to consciously tell my subconcious mind that I know what's going on and that I am not improving at times. So, I feel like something I'm doing is not right. I also have been worrying lately the pain that's been waking me at night daily.

Thanks for reading my short story!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. Vedra

Vedra Peer Supporter

Hi Jorge
    I know how you feel. I was the same at the beginning and realised that worrying about it made things worse. I've had many, many relapses and thought it must be impossible to 'speak' to my unconscious mind. I reread Dr Sarno's book many times and then concentrated on pages 93-97. I photocopied page 97, 'Review the daily reminders' and kept the copy with me to glance at at odd times during the day (or night), even when taking painkillers and trying to come off them. I picked out a few reminders and made them more personal eg: number 1: I have no structural abnormality; the pain is due to TMS. I will not be controlled by the bully in my brain. Some of these became shorter mantras which fit the beat of my feet when I run or can be used when trying to meditate listening to and following the 8 minute example in the TMS recovery program part 2. All this sound s crazy and I would never utter it to anybody, but I think the secret is to find your own crazy way through Dr Sarno's insightful prescription for a pain free future.
    Hope you find your way through it all!

Aimee88 and jorgem12 like this.
  3. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

Thanks, Vedra. I have been believing that it might be finding an individualized way to access the subconscious mind. The great moments I have had have been when not believing my brain's fears when I want to play soccer (which I am very happy to be doing after 15 months of not being that active). And, when I pinpoint a real underlying emotional factor like people pleasing. Those are the breakthroughs I've had and feel that I am almost there!

ssxl4000 and Aimee88 like this.
  4. Vedra

Vedra Peer Supporter

Great stuff, Jorge. Keep at it!

5. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hi Jorge and Vedra. Some random thoughts based on your conversation...

One thing the program tries to teach you is that it's more important to lose your fear about the symptoms than it is for them to actually go away. It's hard, but it seems the pain goes away once the fear and worry do, not the other way around. And doing the treatment "right" can create a lot of pressure and anxiety, which just becomes another distraction that feeds the TMS cycle. As you go through the program, try not to feel bogged down by having to do everything on a particular timeline, or expecting to feel a certain amount better by a certain time. That's easier said than done, but the program should help you get there.

Also, in terms of accessing your subconscious, one thing I learned halfway into the program is that it's not about beating your subconscious as if this is a contest. Think of your subconscious as a scared, inner child that is lashing out because of fear. It doesn't need to be defeated or controlled so much as acknowledged and comforted.

Keep up the good work!

6. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

That helps a lot thanks!! Since I read Dr. Sarno's books I kind of assumed that TMS was just like dealing with Intrusive thoughts. And, apparently it's a similar process.