1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 of educational prog

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Emma, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Emma

Emma New Member

I am making a thread post ( as part of my treatment and understanding of TMS ) about where I am right now in my treatment, my level of acceptance and any doubts or worries I have.

I was recommneded John Sarno's book 'Healing Back Pain' just over a week ago. I'm fitting in as much reading as possible and am 2 thirds through the book. I totally think TMs is what I have and is what is causing my daily back pain/shoulder pain. I feel very confident in Dr Sarno and TMS. Reading the book makes music to my ears. It is me and my situation all over. I have watched the 20/20 clip twice and as I do, I feel lightheaded and dizzy, but am very sure it makes perfect sense. I have told my husband and best friend about my new found idea and they are very supportive. I have read a few success stories and will continue to do so.
    So, my level of acceptance is high.
    There is slight worry that I won't be able to manage the TMS successfully, but I know that is my negative self doubt side coming out. I can tell myself I will be able to and have no problem in talking to my brain/back. I just hope that it reaches my sub concious.
    I also have slight worry that I will find it hard to address the emotions I am repressing. I think they are from situations that happen to me daily, ie, OCD, controlling etc.

I am confident that addressing TMs and educating myself daily will help. And I hope beyond anything, thnat I will be pain free.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Welcome, Emma! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

I struggle with this too. I found journaling helpful and there's the Structured Program on the wiki that's pretty good.

Take care,
    Veronica

Beach-Girl likes this.
  3. Emma

Emma New Member

Thank you for your support Veronica. I started Day 1 from the structured programme today, hene the post, and from level 5 in pain this morning and currently at 0. I'll definitely continue with the daily programme.

Many thanks
    Emma

Forest and veronica73 like this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Emma, it sounds like you may have finally found exactly what you needed. I'm glad your friend gave you the referral and glad to have you here.
    I hope you don't worry about this too much, because we don't actually have to figure everything out. Our unconscious brain is vast and complex, and learning our way around it is a process that can take years. But the important thing to remember is that we don't have to understand everything. We are only human, so there will always be mysteries. Many many people recover from their TMS simply by accepting that their pain has a psychological cause and therefore losing their fear. Journaling can help with this but it isn't necessary to come up with a complete map of the unconscious.

One thing I like to keep in mind for journaling (and for everything else) is the Serenity Prayer. It holds so much wisdom, especially for us TMSers!
    Welcome to our community. It sounds like you are well on your way.

5. Emma

Emma New Member

Thank you Forest, it gives me great strength to get positive help and feedback from others. I am in huge debt to my Yoga friend who gave me the referral !!
    I will relax abaout digging out the emotions and go with the lfoe of educating, journalling and talking to myself.

What a wonderful site

Huge thanks

6. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Emma:

I hope you'll learn as much from the SEP as I did. I was at my wits end as well, living "half a life" and grounded from the outdoors I love so much. But through a lot of writing, reflecting, and working the program, I am feeling much better these days. (4 months later) I too have moments with "0" pain. I am one happy camper when then happens.

One thing I would add to the others above is to simply live in the moment. Don't worry about what might happen, or what might not happen. Just take each lesson as you're ready for it and write as thoughtfully and honestly as you can in your journal. Also remember: we really only have this moment. If we worry about the future (big one I struggle with) or fret about the past, then it hinders not only our recovery, but our day to day experiences.

This is something I'm learning. I catch myself now when I start to worry about something in the future. I'm learning to replace these thoughts with noticing how happy I am in that moment. I just spent two hours digging through our bills. No fun. Big worries. But then I remembered the great beach walk I had with my dog this morning and I was totally happy. I didn't used to be this way - it's from studying the work, writing in my journal, and finding those moments in the day that make me smile.

Hope that didn't sound too corny, but finding the wiki and the forum, have helped me a great deal in my ongoing recovery. Keep at it. When you're done with the book? There will be another. When you've finished the program? There are more available if you need more help? Just pop on here and ask. Some are recovered and some are working at it. But we're all here to support one another.

You ARE in the right place and I welcome you along with the others before me.

BG

7. Emma

Emma New Member

Not corny at all! Very helpful, thank you. I have huge faith in this but it is so so good to get other people communicating with me about it. I'm very lucky in that my parents are extraordinarily grounded and spiritual, and they help me realise that, as you said, the past and future are not what should be occupying my time. In fact -
    'The past is history, the future is a mystery, and the presence is a gift. That is why it is called the present.'
    My husband calls your beach walk with your dog ' goldern moments' and when they happen we are to recognise them and exactly as you did, tap into them when needed.

Thank you so much for your support

veronica73 likes this.
  8. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Emma:

Your husband is right on! (your parents too for that matter) Woke up this morning and found myself worrying over something really stupid before my first cup of coffee. The cool thing is: I recognized it and changed it right away. I never used to do this, but this work has helped me to s l o w l y change my self talk. Now if my shoulder would "let go" - I'd know I'd reached another step. No beach walk today, but yesterday will stay with me. I found the largest agate I've ever found! It was lying on the beach. These are truly gifted moments. And I'm learning to live there - instead of in all the hard stuff.

Go for it Emma! You already have a large cheering section.

BG