1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Hope

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by hopethishelps, Jun 21, 2019.

?

is It normal to feel fear and hope at the same time?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2019.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hopethishelps

hopethishelps New Member

hi, i am 32 years old, married and father to two beautiful daughters.
    I am 100% convinced that my pain is TMS. As most of you I have also undergone many many many therapies, doctors, shots, drugs and most recently my first CBD oil experience. My pain comes and goes and even though I am much better than one year ago I still suffer of tension specially in my neck, upper back and upper chest area.
    I am very excited to be part of the TMS success stories and I am ready to let my pain and repressed emotions go. I am tired of living with pain and wish to live a full life!
    I am also a bit afraid of being part of the 10% who do not have success with this self treatment. To be honest I am a bit of a control freak (no surprise here) and when I read that even successful people have had sometimes weeks where their pain comes back i immediately think back to when I felt worst and my knees shiver in fear.
    Also sorry if my English is not perfect. I am from Mexico City and English is Notni my first language.
    Thanks doctor Sarno and all of you

Josh Howard and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. savasana

savasana Peer Supporter

Yeah baby! Be strong man. You got this. You’re going to be just fine :)

hopethishelps likes this.
  3. hopethishelps

hopethishelps New Member

Thanks!!!!!

4. Josh Howard

Josh Howard New Member

Stay strong, you not only have hope but the fact that you can open up and share your story is a major step in the right direction. Like you, my battle with TMS started when I was around 32 and I struggled with it for years before discovering Dr. Sarno about a year ago. Reading his book help a lot and I was pain free for a while but recently started to have some of the same issues and started the program.

Just sharing/journaling/and for me (crying, which I never do) had helped me tremendously.

Thanks again for sharing and know that you have a community of people that you can lean on! Best of luck in your journey

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

My TMS/MBS started at 32 too! We're a club! Something about the pressure of that age I suppose. You may have read this already, I know Dr. Sarno wrote about it. He cited studies showing back pain sufferers tended to be in their middle years as opposed to retirement aged, indicating it's more about pressure/stress/anger etc. than physical issues. I think the same goes for all versions of TMS (mine was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). Good luck with the program!

6. hopethishelps

hopethishelps New Member

I cannot thank you enough for writing and sharing words of wisdom and encouragement. I have always been a good cryer but ironically enough I shut down emotionally about 5 years ago when we suffered a horrible family incident. Since then crying for me has become something I do on very rare occasions and usually alone at night. I hope that journaling and this pregame become sort of a way to open up the water works and open me up to my feelings again.

Thanks

7. hopethishelps

hopethishelps New Member

Thank you. Yes I had also heard and it makes total sense. I have also read a few other cases of men who like me started developing this when they started their own families... no surprise there. Starting a family is a great joy and such a gift but it comes with great responsibility...

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I can assure you that at age 68, and even in retirement, it's STILL about pressure/stress/anger etc. rather than true physical issues! We might not have job pressures anymore, and perhaps relationship and child-rearing pressures are eased or gone, but we've still got the rage of aging, the fear of our inevitable decline and death, and ugh, let's not forget current affairs.

But the good news is, we have the tools, thanks to Dr. Sarno and his legacy, including this forum, to fight back! :joyful:

hopethishelps and Josh Howard like this.
  9. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

I have a young daughter too. Eventually I found out she was a big part of my issues. The responsibility takes a toll, and allowing yourself to feel resentment/anger towards kids is hard. It took me a while to accept that it's okay, and does not reflect my value as a dad or love for my daughter. I'm still getting used to coexisting with my unconscious feeling side and my conscious thinking side, as they are very different.

hopethishelps and JanAtheCPA like this.
  10. Bchshlm

Bchshlm Newcomer

I also started with back pain around that age ( also had a young so and a daughter on the way. I loved being a dad but underneath it I had fear and anxiety. I was a week away from having fusion surgery when I read Dr Sarnos book. After 2 days I was pain free and I canceled the surgery . Now 20 years later as I was weeks away from retirement I had the worst back pain ever. I was in and out of ER’s and hospital. The Drs convinced me there was no other alternative but surgery. I was so fearful of having that type of debilitating pain every again , I had the surgery. Long story short , the pain didn’t go away and actually started to move around. I read all of sarnos books again and now know the surgery was unnecessary and it was aging TMS. I’m just happy to be on the rich path again. Best of luck , don’t bend or break , it is TMS and you will prevail

hopethishelps and JanAtheCPA like this.
  11. hopethishelps

hopethishelps New Member

Oh man it’s tough. TMS is a sneaky sneaky syndrome and we have to be on our toes to not let it confuse us. There is nothin wrong with our bodies. We are strong and healthy. All we need is to think psychological instead of physical. Best of luck

JanAtheCPA likes this.