1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Confused about how to view pain

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by kieran, Dec 16, 2016.

1. kieran

kieran Newcomer

Hi. I feel confused. On one hand I appear to be reading or hearing that the pain is there to distract me from my buried emotions and I should try to ignore it or tell it that I know what it´s doing and the game is up. In a way I am being encouraged to regard the pain as my mind manifesting a painful form of protection from my emotions.
    On the other hand I read that the pain is a tool used by my inner bully to scare me and I should get angry with the part of me that seeks to sabotage my happiness. So, is my mind creating the pain and protecting me? Is it frightening me? Should I ignore it? Should I get angry with it? I thought I was clear on this but I´m getting confused. Would appreciate any clarification. Thanks Kieran

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kieran,
    I think each person finds their own way. And each person can use, successfully different approaches in the moment. In both of the stances you describe there is something in common: you are witnessing what is happening, not being swept up in the usual responses of fear, looking for cures, etc. It is this place of power which you are trying to cultivate, in time, regardless of the symptoms, or the change in symptoms when you employ certain methods, as you describe. Ultimately the process is one of "not believing" in the importance of the pain. Telling it to go away draws on your anger to take control. This can work. Some people find simply, matter-of-factly talking to the TMS effective. A more subtle way of "standing your ground." I hope this helps, and don't worry about doing it perfectly, just take a strong stance. Cultivate a steadfastness.
    Andy B

Ellen likes this.
  3. kieran

kieran Newcomer

Thank you Andy. That actually helps me a lot and I really appreciate you taking the time to write that. Cheers.