1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Ciao! New to the forum

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Alexandr, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Alexandr - I first developed pain in my wrists when i was a teenager and it progressively got worse as I got older. My symptoms affected which jobs I would take and I was very limited in what I could do. I tried pretty much all of the standard RSI techniques, such as taking breaks, sitting with good posture, but none of them worked. My symptoms actually got worse doing all of these things. They got so bad that I eventually had to use voice recognition software to do basic computer work. Then, not so surprisingly, my voice went out. Looking back on it, this was a clear sign I had TMS.

One of my friends turned me on to Sarno's work. I was a little skeptical at first, but I started reading all of these amazing success stories. The people who wrote them sounded just like I did. They had severe symptoms, like me, and they were able to fully recover. Reading these stories really did give me the courage to give the approach a try. To be honest, I never did a whole lot of journaling. I just started to understand that my symptoms were caused by repressed emotions and I couldn't harm myself by being active again. I slowly started to be more active and work on the computer, without any aids, more and more. The more active I was, the more confidence I had in the approach and myself. My symptoms never increased and so I just continued. Essentially, I just stopped focusing on them and sure enough they all faded away. For more on this check out my Video Success Story.

While I didn't do heavy journaling, I do think it is an important part of recover because it can help you identify the major issues and emotions that you are repressing. Uncovering these emotions can really help people accept the diagnosis, recover, and stay symptom free for the long-term. If you have any questions about journaling check out the How do I Journal page for guidance. Lastly, I would really advise you to think about what is holding you back, and educate yourself about TMS/PPD. Understanding this process and how it affects your emotions will really help you recover for the long term. Exploring this forum and site is a great place to start.

Alexandr likes this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

"I do think it is an important part of recovery because it can help you identify the major issues and emotions that you are repressing. Uncovering these emotions can really help people accept the diagnosis, recover, and stay symptom free for the long-term."

I agree with you completely Forest. I understood the TMS process for a long time and it helped. But journaling helped me identify the psychological triggers and repressed emotions that were driving that process; helped me to begin unlearning them, deprogramming myself. It's kind of like theory and practice.

3. Alexandr

Alexandr New Member

Thanks guys! You are very helpful! I will follow the structured program and read Dr. Schubiner's blog. That should help.