1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. Chronic tooth pain

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I am an artist in my 60's with chronic tooth pain (useless root canal and extraction). What is the most SIMPLE way to proceed? I am really ready to dive in, but want to make the right choice.

Gail

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Gail! Thanks for the question.

While seemingly straightforward, it is a big question indeed. How to begin? Well I think you have certainly found yourself at a very good place for beginning, the TMS wiki and forum. As far as something nice and simple I would say just start here with an introduction.

The first step is to try and determine if what you are dealing with is a mindbody issue or not. Now it sounds like you have an initial structural issue (the root canal and extraction) but perhaps there is more at issue here. If you've been told that your pain doesn't make sense or that it shouldn't be as potent as it is, you may want to start looking deeper in the content here and perhaps start with one of the "founding fathers" Dr. Sarno. I started with Healing Back Pain and many of clients have found this book very helpful for starting their journey.

Take a look at these resources. Educating yourself about TMS the simplest way I know to get started!

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Good point, bears repeating.