1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic myofascial neck pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by marine89, Aug 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. marine89

marine89 Peer Supporter

Has anyone been told by a doctor that they have chronic myofascial pain in their neck or anywhere else and has gotten better from this? Id love to hear your stories?

2. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I've been diagnosed. It causes migraines. No help medically. And so far not Sarno way either. Interested to follow.

3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I can't think of anyone in the last 17 years who hasn't healed from MPS with TMS healing. There might be one here or there who didn't understand what was going on, or didn't do the work but I haven't personally seen one. If you view it as TMS and follow the correct path healing is the only end you can arrive at.

Good luck,
    SteveO

4. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I know there's nothing physical. I've been trying over 10 years. And all I've got is more pain. So I'm doing something wrong. Wish I
    Knew what.

5. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Thanks Steve. It's always good to read the voice of reason to clear away any cobwebs of doubt that try to build up.
    I call it chronic tight neck muscles. To me, this is a more down to earth way of thinking of it because tight muscles can always be loosened. I can't say my chronic myofascial pain in my neck is cured, but it has gotten slowly better over the past 3 years. It's where I hold my stress. I have gone from having every symptom one can read about from neck issues to feeling like an average 60 year old (occasional aches and tightness). I now treat my neck muscles as an emotional barometer and I examine what's going on with me when they feel tight and tingly.
    One thing I do every morning before getting out of bed is I lie on my back, taking deep relaxing breathes, feeling and visualizing my neck muscles relaxing. That way I'm starting my day as relaxed as possible.

6. marine89

marine89 Peer Supporter

7. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

I have the same issues. I started with reading Dr Sarno which lead me to this site (somehow lol). There is so much information here, you just need to start researching. There is no direct path to getting better. You have to figure it out on your own. A good place to start is the TMS Recovery Program, which has a lot of useful info. I also followed the
    I liked this program since you did something new each day. It helped you focus on one thing and then you put em all together at the end. You may not be fully recovered afterwards but the program helps put you on track. I have been dealing with chronic muscle spasms in my neck and so on. I am not fully healed, but the pain hasn't totally consumed me. Which is what happened before I found this site. Good luck to you!

Lily Rose and Saffron like this.
  8. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I think I've done them all. And had no success at all. The migraines make reading and even thinking so hard. I'm baffled why everyone has success. Not me.

9. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

@Saffron

It's possible you have yet to grasp the concept(s) presented here. In a nutshell, you need to stop fighting to heal yourself. You'll only exhaust your mind and body.

You need to give up the fight and just let it happen. If it hurts rub it but try not to let it consume you. The fixation becomes worse than the pain itself because it starts to affect everything in your life negatively, and you just end up in a downward spiral.

I'm not suggesting ignore the pain or distract yourself(unless this helps), but recognize it's there and move on.

I myself suffered from what the PT called muscle hypertonicity, or over toned muscle, in my right shoulder from overuse. It would cause me to have a brutally stiff neck some mornings, headaches and all kinds of pain on the right side. Rest assured, I was no overnight success, but I learned to just give up. There was way too much emotion in my thought process that preceded the pain, constantly worrying that if I move my shoulder will I a) pull my neck, b) tear my rotator cuff, c) etc....

Take a step back and think about what runs through your mind before and during the pain. You may find what you've been missing.

Ellen, Saffron and gutter3 like this.
  10. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

Thank you. I appreciate your response.
    My biggest problem. I wake with severe head pain/migraine every day.

I've no idea of anything thought or emotion that I might have prior to

I can tell you that nocturnal migraine is a mystery and even the expert experts have no ideas why this occurs.

It's too late to do anything when waking is depressing and scary. I cannot even think my head hurts so much. And the so called myofascial neck pain is either cause or effect.

Thank you.

11. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

@Saffron

It's this statement right here that defines your struggle. All of us have been in this position. The individual sufferer has to either accept that what they have is emotional/psychological or it's physical; there's no other way to slice this pie. And even when it's physical you can still reconcile with the pain.

Either way, you accept it and move on with life, and accept that you'll have ups and downs and you'll let it happen but concern yourself with other matters as it resolves.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    MWsunin12, Ellen and Saffron like this.
  12. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi Saffron, I'm going to repeat something I previously mentioned. "One thing I do every morning before getting out of bed is I lie on my back, taking deep relaxing breathes, feeling and visualizing my neck muscles relaxing. That way I'm starting my day as relaxed as possible."
    I started this waking ritual to ease same problem you are having upon waking. It's one of many things that helped me get over issues caused by my neck muscles. We don't have control over what dreams we have, but if I had a very stressful dream that caused me to wake with a headache and tension (and I assume I rarely know what I dreamt), then a morning meditation/visualization before opening my eyes is the best thing I can do.

As well, since you said you've seen experts, I'm assuming doctors have ruled out sleep apnea which can cause people to wake with a headache every day.

Saffron likes this.