1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Knee Pain seems it might be TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by cameronh, Jan 19, 2016.

1. cameronh

cameronh Newcomer

Hi my name is Cameron, I am 23 years old, and I recently finished reading The Mindbody Prescription by Dr. John Sarno. For the past 2.5 years, I have been a victim of chronic knee pain. I use to be an avid long distance runner. Back in the beginning of 2014, I was preparing for the Houston marathon. Three weeks prior to the marathon I suffered pain in my right knee during mid run. I continued to train and ultimately was not able to run the marathon. Ever since then I have been in a decline. I stopped running and then switched to cycling. For months I had no problems cycling 1 to 2 hours per session. Unfortunately that came to an end as well, because my right knee began to feel pain when cycling. At this point I sought medical advice about 7 to 8 months down the line. The doctor took x-rays and a MRI. The results from the MRI listed: Mild suprapatellar joint effusion, prepatellar bursitis, and patellar tendinosis. At this point in time, I experienced a strong stiffness and discomfort after just one workout per week. The doctor decided it was mainly bursitis, but I had always thought bursitis involved swelling of the knee. And of course I had never had any swelling in the knee. From here I received a cortisone shot, which ultimately did not help. I tried multiple types of physical therapy from the Graston technique, ultrasound therapy, and stretching. Now fast forward to 2016, I currently do not run or cycle anymore because of the increasing discomfort in my knee. The pain isn’t strong, but I never push it because I’m afraid of what will happen. After reading The Mind Body Prescription, I feel I have found some real inspiration. So I am hoping people can comment if anyone has had similar experiences such as mine. I am currently starting to implement Dr. Sarno techniques to rid myself of the pain.

2. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Hi Cameron welcome. I'm fairly new here as well and have found this to be a very caring and supportive community.
    Speaking only for myself I would seek a TMS medical DR to confirm my diagnosis. My pain is neck and shoulder and was originally diagnosed as having a pinched nerve. I am fortunate to live in NYC and was able to see Dr Rauchbaum who studied under Dr Sarno. He confirmed TMS. That gave me more comfort. I see that not everyone goes that route. I believe there is a resource list on this site it may be worth checking out.
    If you don't follow the route or there is no TMS Dr available to you there are many different ways to cure TMS. There is a structured program on this site called SEP many people apparently have used it with much success. Sometimes just thinking psychological vs physical does the trick!
    So many ways dependent on you and your personality.
    I hope some of what I've said is helpful and get you running again!

3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Susan,

I've read so many of your posts and you are ever so thoughtful, kind and caring to others. You may be a recent addition to the community, but your input is very much valued. Bless you and wishing you strength, courage and wisdom on your own journey.

Best

Susan1111 likes this.
  4. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Mike wow! thank you so much for your more than kind words about me. You touched me very deeply. In fact even made me a bit teary. This journey is like no other I've been on and I appreciate your good wishes as well. It certainly does take strength, courage and wisdom.
    Warmly, Susan

mike2014 likes this.
  5. cameronh

cameronh Newcomer

Thanks for all the advice Susan!

6. marine89

marine89 Peer Supporter

Have you finally recovered from this bursitis knee pain you had