1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Cured! Plus many equivalents, alive again!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by beep, May 28, 2019.

1. beep

beep Peer Supporter

I've experienced many ailments since I was young (about 10) that I now realize were TMS and which have nearly all been resolved at this point. (Headaches, shoulder pain, bicep tendinitis, rotator cuff issues, IT band syndrome, panic attacks, sexual dysfunction (the only one I still need to sort of figure out), chronic fatigue syndrome, sleep disturbances, general joint pain and other pain syndromes rotating around the body, gastritis, etc.)

I'm 24 now. I developed CFS a few weeks after my 23rd birthday and my life was absolutely trainwrecked. I barely had the energy to leave the house. I was afraid/'couldn't' walk for more than a few minutes without feeling severe weakness/fatigue/dizziness/etc. My life was reduced from that of an active 23 year old recent college grad, to a homebound wreck who no longer had a social life, work life, hobbies, or anything. It was hell.

My doctors tried this and that medication (antivirals, naltrexone, etc.) None worked. And honestly I gave up and accepted my fate. I sort of settled that I would live this shitty life and maybe kill myself in the future. (I could not see a reason to live a life so void of everything that makes life beautiful and worth living.)

After 14 months of hell, I found by coincidence, Dr. Sarno's work, because I was having random hand pain. And the book cured my hand pain. I was still in disbelief about CFS but decided there was nothing to lose. I began to do the online TMS work/journaling, repeat mantras while trying to push myself to move and stop fearing, and it worked!

Less than three months later and I'm running again training for a half marathon. Yesterday I ran 5 miles at a 9:23 pace and my times are getting faster every week. I lift 3 times a week. I went to NYC for a weekend trip and went to the beach with my friends this past weekend. It is absolutely incredible to be alive again! I still experience symptoms but try to push past them and NEVER let them stop me from doing something I want to do. Fear had been the greatest poison in my life and it took me experiencing 'CFS' to see the toxic fear that was bleeding into every aspect of my life.

I was wholly convinced the ME/CFS was a 100% physical problem and would have never believed it was psychosomatic had I not found the book by coincidence when trying to solve my hand pain and the book spelling out my personality type.

I figured I owed it to this board to post my story and put in out there in a public place where someone else who is struggling with CFS may find it and use it as evidence that they themselves can reclaim their life as well. I also posted a blog post about my recovery which details the recovery in a more well written 3000ish words if ya wanna read more here. (https://www.ryanwhoop.com/2019/05/09/im-back/ (I'm Back! - My Post-Grad Life)) And if you are a CFS'er who doesn't believe me or believe that I actually had CFS, read the blog. You will 100% see that what I experienced was classic CFS and a moderately serious case. My doctor described me as a 'textbook' case. If I can get over it, you can too!

2. grapefruit

grapefruit Peer Supporter

Thanks for posting, I'm I to share this with someone who has CFS. Awesome Story!

3. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Many thanks for sharing this! I have a dear friend who has been battling ME/CFS for 20 years. She spends most of her days on her sofa "encouraging" others on the ME support groups. She has spent many thousands of dollars going to quack clinics in search of a cure. She's beautiful, talented, and smart- but is totally closed to the mindbody connection. Thank goodness you discovered TMS while young enough to have a fulfilling life. I'm afraid my friend will live out the rest of her days believing she has a rare illness and always chasing the cure. It breaks my heart.

4. beep

beep Peer Supporter

Sorry to hear that :/. It's not surprising honestly. Those forums are legitimately some of the worst places on the internet, perpetuating the idea that there is something seriously wrong, encouraging each other to further restrict their lives in an effort to reduce symptoms, creating and perpetuating fear around the disorder, warning people to take the symptoms seriously, shouting down anyone who is healed using psychological interventions. And I was one of those people too! It's so easy to fall into that group and identify with it and fully adopt their beliefs and attitudes. Now that I'm out of it, I see how seriously dangerous those forums are for people struggling with CFS.

5. Duende

Duende Peer Supporter

Many thanks, Beep, for this.

I fell innocently into one of those support groups, not exactly cfs, but in the end they all have an equal functioning. This has been, probably, the most serious mistake I've made.

And now I can not defeat the "mental virus" that infected me.

HattieNC likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi beep,

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.

Let's give this a big "hurray!" as another deep learning for someone who has engaged TMS work. Life changing!

Andy B

HattieNC likes this.
  7. Pac-man

Pac-man New Member

Hey man, great that you share this success as I’m going through a similar process. And btw regarding the sexual dysfunction, I overcame it myself when I did a 90 day nofap.

8. Mamajennie

Mamajennie New Member

Exactly which exercizes(journaling, etc) did you do? I'm new to TMS and fatigue has ruined my life.

AMarie likes this.
  9. Pac-man

Pac-man New Member

I’m happy to report that I overcame extreme fatigue after almost two months of just pushing myself through. I would follow the instructions of OP and exert myself a little more each day. Walked around the block, next day I walked a little longer.. And instead of the focus on the pain and fear, I forced myself to think psychologically, at my situation in life right now that is very stressful. It gradually got better (although with some setbacks) and now I’m cured thanks to the belief in the TMS process.

Shakermaker, jennyc19, AMarie and 2 others like this.
  10. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Pac-man! I hope you can write up something, even if not elaborate, and post it separately to the Success Stories sub forum linked above. If you title it with a symptom or condition name and tag it with the symptoms/diagnoses you had, this will be wonderful too! Many, many will find your story and benefit.
    Thanks for considering this.
    Andy

11. HappyLittleClouds

HappyLittleClouds Peer Supporter

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Reading it a few weeks ago was a big impetus for me educating myself about this approach to help with my CFS. I'm making progress already! Would love to hear an update on how you are doing now.

12. beep

beep Peer Supporter

Hey, glad to hear you're doing better already! I'm doing great! Just living my life. Working part time, getting a second bachelors, training for my second half marathon, etc. Living fully :)

13. HappyLittleClouds

HappyLittleClouds Peer Supporter

That is so wonderful and encouraging to hear. Very happy for you and looking forward to being able to do those things someday too!

14. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

Your link says your account is suspended. I would like to read your blog post if you see this post. ???

15. Gtgart

Gtgart New Member

Lotus, jennyc19 and TrustIt like this.
  16. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

17. beep

beep Peer Supporter

Hey! Sorry, I let the domain/hosting lapse on my blog/story. I'll have to put it up online again for people to refer back to. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me. I know how rough CFS/TMS can be.

jennyc19 and TrustIt like this.