1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

childhood pain on pupose

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Tallthinguy, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Tallthinguy

Tallthinguy Newcomer

New guy here.......just started day 1 of the structured educational program.

I have just recently read Dr Sarno's book "Healing Back Pain" and know that I have TMS and the personality to go with it. I have a herniated disc in my back and degerated discs in my neck and have had success in thinking the pain away for brief moments, but no real success as of yet, although it's only been 2 weeks.

As a kid being skinny, unathletic and uncoordinated I remember mentally bringing on headaches in order to be excluded from gym glass. Probably set myself up for a life long habit of pain.

EileenS likes this.
  2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Welcome to the forum Tallthinguy. I know what you mean. I never had ibs before developing chronic pain in my neck 3 yrs ago. Although the ibs and pain are mostly gone now, my tummy issues are the toughest to beat psychologically. I sometimes wonder if I set myself up by pulling the "but Mommy, my tummy hurts. I don't want to go to school." (Fortunately, it didn't often work.)

Follow the programs on this site and read forum success stories. It really works.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Eileen's advice is very good, having done the same thing as you... with her tummy hurt routine. It looks teo me that you gave yourself a conditioned reflex in imagining headaches to get out of gym class. I hated gym in school because I was not very well coordinated. If someone tossed me the ball, I never knew which way to run with it. After college I didn't have gym anymore and I stopped caring if I was not athletic. I became a writer
    and that has been fun (hard work, too) but fun.

4. Tallthinguy

Tallthinguy Newcomer

I still get pain just thinking about going golfing with friends. I have developed bursitis and now have an excuse to drop out of an invite. I think this definitely has a connection to childhood pain and anxiety avoidance issues.

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Do you still believe that? According to Dr. Sarno, these dx's are incorrect, he calls them normal gray hair of the spine. He cites identical x-rays with some people having pain and others do not.

6. Tallthinguy

Tallthinguy Newcomer

I do not believe the herniated discs in my back and degenerated discs in my neck are causing my pain. I do know that when I am stressed at work, both areas flare up with increased pain. I now know my emotions are the main cause of the pain and see the link between the two. I have noticed that a lot of the pain subsides when I am on vacation.

Tennis Tom likes this.