1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chemistry (subject) is causing my pain...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by DaveBrad, Jul 27, 2017.

1. DaveBrad

DaveBrad New Member

I think I know why I'm in pain. I started to get back pain on and off at the same time I started to send my applications to university (summer), and I remember being really unsure what to do. I ended up settling for chemistry, however, I remember having a lot of resistance to the ideal and I believe an internal conflict of what path I wanted to get on life. By February I got a conditional offer by Newcastle Uni (uk), that same time my back pain became chronic and severe. And I have postponed going to uni for 2 years after getting accepted, because of the pain. I think it maybe due to me being unsure about what path to take and pressure I applied to myself about the decision. Also may have been an opportunity for my primal part of my brain to opted out of responsibility and stresses of uni..

What you guys think? Does it sound possible?

MWsunin12 likes this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

It not only sound possible, it sounds plausible and likely!

When us old(er) people recover from TMS we look back over our lives and see that we actually have had it our whole lives, in various manifestations.

My first attack was when I was 6. I was shooting hoops in the backyard and my neck went into the most painful spasms... they had to knock me out with something to calm down, put a neck brace on me, ... I was freaking out. Never mind that my Mom was about to leave on a trip BACK to Europe where we had just moved from to the states.... My Father was dead and now Mom was going off on tour, leaving me with a baby-sitter..... I was already damaged goods and needed to be careful.

I had a Gnarly attack when I was 19. I fell from the tiles at the DelMar skatepark (the symptoms didn't start for 3 days)....woke up screaming because I couldn't feel the whole left half of my body(or move it). I had just dropped out of college and realized that the only 'career' I had was being a dope dealer/criminal type. All my friends and peers were starting their lives and I was still stuck as a Looo-zer. (I had been visiting my friends at college that weekend...)

My 19 year old son actually just had his first reeeally bad back pain this week. He also blamed it on skateboarding... However, I found out from his brother that he had just spoken with his ex-girlfriend of 3 years for the first time since they broke up....2 hours before the symptoms started..her life is a disaster and she has blamed it on him leaving her. He's very conscientious so the guilt must be unbearable. His Brother instantly suspected TMS. I was surprised at how intuitive the older one is... he had a few bouts with it when he was uber-stressed at Vanderbilt U. In the math and science dept when he was 16. (yes , he's one of those)...trying to balance being a high achiever with baseball, girls and his rock band

TMS is no respecter of age. You are very lucky to be dialed in this young for you are saving yourself a lifetime of misery in the medieval medical world

Besides the decision, is there also a financial burden e.g. are you going to owe them money at the end? Is there a lifestyle change/moving issue for housing? Pressure from your family? Significant other?

All of these things need your attention,awareness... nowadays unless you have a STEM type degree there is no guarantee of work out there...at least here in the states. Do you really like STEM or is it just about the money? 'Settling' for chemistry could be an expensive regret if you really have no love for it.

The cool thing about TMS is you don't necessarily have to do or not do anything to get rid of it....just learning about it suffices in 99.9% of cases

Lunarlass66 and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, it could likely be TMS--being stuck/frozen in the TMS zone--between fight/flight. Dr. Sarno's KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN is the cure.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Great that you realize this and can sort it out long before you feel stuck in a professional field you don't like.
    Here's a suggestion: Ask yourself, What do I spend most of my free time doing? Meaning...do you love reading about a certain subject? Working on something that seems like a hobby? Look at what makes the time go by quickly and THAT might be the way you should make a living. Or, something in that field.

Good luck. You're young. Go outside and walk around, look up at the sky, feel your youthfulness. Your body will follow your lead.

DaveBrad and Tennis Tom like this.