1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20 Change one thing? I'd be more appreciative

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SB, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SB

SB Peer Supporter

Question To Ponder
    If you could change one thing about your life what would it be? What steps could you take to make this change?

I would be more appreciative. I think I'm appreciative in theory. I express gratitude, I'm very polite, etc. But if I think about the majority of my thoughts in the majority of my routine day-to-day life (going to work, doing chores, all the normal weekly routine), I'm not truly enjoying the present moment and all that is wonderful about it. Like most people, I've acclimated. So even though I live in paradise, have an amazing job, have an amazing partner, am healthy and intelligent, etc, I let stressors dominate my attention. Very much of my mental energy (probably a majority?! It's so sad that I hesitate to even say that!) goes toward organizing to-do lists, obligations, optimizations. Far less of it goes toward mental "ahhhhh" (sighing and smiling and enjoying). I've taken meditation classes, yoga, etc. I've read books. I haven't found anything that is a big paradigm-shifting Reset Button. I have a relative who was recently diagnosed with potentially fatal cancer, and he seems genuinely thankful for it and calls it a Reset Button. He enjoys very little things now more readily. As he gets healthier (assuming he continues), I wonder if he'll remain in his new paradigm... post Reset Button. My dad lost an eye, and that was a Reset Button for him. The following year was the happiest and most grateful in his life. But then he re-acclimated and is generally stressed-out again. I think humans are generally adept at acclimating (which is often unfortunate). I even destroyed my own knee in soccer, and that didn't seem to be enough of a Reset Button for me. I wonder what could help me truly be (lastingly) more appreciative of all that I have to be grateful for in any given moment.

gailnyc, Leslie and SandyRae like this.
  2. Deb

Deb New Member

Thank you for this heartfelt entry, I believe I am experiencing a "Reset Button" phase and have to thought about incorporating gratefulness into my personal healing story.

3. SB

SB Peer Supporter

:) Best of luck!

4. Deb

Deb New Member

Thank you. Today I wrote down in my journal, my leg cries when I don't....... What a journey.