1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Central sensitization

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by TrueGrit, Apr 18, 2013.

1. TrueGrit

TrueGrit New Member

This is a very interesting article I wanted to share with you: http://saveyourself.ca/articles/central-sensitization.php

From the point that my own knee pain got really bad, I also started getting all kinds of pains in other parts of my body, with relatively little activity. What in TMS terms is called the 'symptom imperative' could I suppose be related to the phenomenon of central sensitization.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this. There were some really interesting points in it, of course I wish it addressed why central sensitization occurs. I have heard that Central Sensitization could be the mechanism behind TMS, not oxygen deprivation that Dr. Sarno describes, but I don't know if I really buy it. There just isn't a focus on the emotions in this model, as of yet.

This is something that Dr. Schubiner actually echoed, saying: People who have written about central sensitization suggest that a wide variety of disorders can be lumped under this mechanism, which makes sense to me (including fibromyalgia, fatigue, PTSD, and other PPD syndromes). However, the people who write about central sensitization have not linked the onset of these disorders to stress and emotional reactions. They just consider the central sensitization to occur for unknown or genetic reasons.

Sure, there are a lot of things about this model that makes sense, especially the central nervous system, but the Oxygen Deprivation seems to resonate more with me as being the mechanism behind TMS. Even if the ANS is involved that still controls blood flow throughout the body. Of course, it would be interesting to see how neuroscience develops over the coming decades, especially with push to map the human brain. Whatever happens, I really hope that scientists start looking for the connection between physiologic changes and emotions.

I enjoyed reading this article. Thanks for posting it.