1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Catch 22?? Rehab or No

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jules, May 28, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

So, I've been dealing with a separated shoulder for the last five months now; however, it has not stopped me from doing pretty much whatever I want. I just started a new job, writing content for websites, which has not affected the shoulder, but I still can't raise it completely over my head or behind my back. Now, I was told I needed to rehab it, so I will get my full range of motion back, but when I do the exercises, it hurts worse. So, I am not a stranger to PT, and had to stop last year due to it not really helping. However, this is a different situation where my shoulder just is not moving the way it should.

So, I'm at a catch-22 maybe? Do I try to rehab it so that I can get the range of motion back, or do I leave it alone and just work on the issues with TMS and the sensitization of my nerves? I don't want to atrophy, so I'm trying to do as much as I can; however, it's still just frozen. I don't want to send signals to my brain that it needs to heal, and yet, I'm pretty sure if I don't do anything, it won't regain ROM for a long time.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

You might research "frozen shoulder" through the searches on the Forum and Wiki to see what you get. I know people have certainly had success using a TMS approach with this diagnosis.

3. Jules

Jules Well known member

I checked, but didn't' see much, only one post. Maybe I'll look again.

Thanks.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Maybe you can take a nuanced approach Jules: keep it moving, knowing it is already really OK.

5. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

Well, in either case you'll eventually have to slowly move through the pain. Sarno himself recommended PTs early on, as they get you moving.