1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 42 Caring

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Endless luke, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

What have you learned about yourself by going through this program?

I've learned that I need or want a lot of caring. Compared to how I used to be I'm now ridiculously easy on myself. It's also something that I look for in relationships. I had one relationship about two years ago where my girlfriend said I was a "sponge for affection". She didn't mean it as an insult but it didn't make me feel good about myself. In some ways I felt like I was treated a bit like one of her cats- we all relaxed when our stomachs were rubbed.

So I've recognized that I get something out of being cared for at least a few years but I think the journaling has made me more comfortable with this idea? I'm really not sure. I do feel determined to be nice to myself.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is an awesome reply Endless Luke. It is about getting back to relationship with life.
    We all love to be cared for by someone, its the way we were born- to look life ward.
    I like your quote "sponge for affection".
    That pretty much sums up most everyone I've ever talked too including myself.
    Your a trooper. Keep us up-dated
    Thanks.

Endless luke likes this.
  3. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi Endless Luke... I love the idea of endless caring. Being in this program I am learning a new way to care for myself. I was so disconnected from my pressures, fears and anxieties, I didn't even know I needed caring for. By learning to take better care of myself, I am learning how to accept and ask from others for caring and affection. I also had a bad habit of caring for others more than myself - it was that indirect way of getting attention and my self-esteem fed. Its all changing now.
    Great insight. Thanks for sharing it!

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya, Endless, that is so wonderful to hear. There is a lot of scientific research about how valuable a sense of self-compassion is. Much much harder than reading that research is actually developing the real self-compassion. Ironically, another challenge is often being compassionate with oneself about how quickly one is developing their self-compassion! Yet, somehow, magically, with a little bit of journaling, some patience and maybe some fellow travelers to chat with, people seem to slowly figure it out. It's one of my favorite things about this website to be able to watch it.

Thanks for sharing! :)