1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can't seem to find out what it is I am repressing!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Dijana, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Dijana

Dijana New Member

Hi, I am at a point now im pretty sure I have TMS. ( that took me a while) I really want to overcome this, but I just cant seem to figure out what it is I am repressing. I definately match the TMS profile, but as far as I know, I dont have any childhood trauma's or what so ever. How can I find out what my unconsious is try to hide for me? I do the writing exercises for a while now, went back to my childhood but nothing really upsetting seem to come out. What can I do to figure this out?

Dijana

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Dijana,

Hello. I don't have much time to write this morning but I just wanted to say that I think many of us trying to recover from TMS go through a similar experience. I personally have come to the conclusion that it is best to work on an overall lifestyle approach
    ie: meditation, noticing chronic thought patterns, stress reduction, etc. and developing faith that as we journal and create an openness for these past and current repressions to express themselves, that the answer will become more clear. Meaning we may not be able to dive in and find a childhood trauma or upsetting event to suddenly unlock the key to our pain symptoms. It can be incredibly frustrating to work hard on this and still have pain symptoms and no clear answers. But have faith and patience if you feel as though you definitely match the TMS profile and there are many, many examples of people who have gone through this and made there way to pain free, rich and fulfilling future. I'm sure you will get lots of advice and support on here for programs, books and techniques to try.

Rose, tarala, Stella and 2 others like this.
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I agree with Anne that it's mostly a lifestyle change. Sometimes I never know what my subconscious is trying to hide from me. But I do the meditation, exercise, and talk to my subC!
    Right now I'm strugglings with some TMS symptoms after being pain free for 3 months. I'm assuming it has to do with returning to work ( I work in a middle school--and LOVE it!)while my husband gets to stay home. I'm not conscious of any resentment or anxiety, but it must be there, because I'm feeling it in my back!
    Hang in there Dijana. I find it helpful to read books by folks who have figured it out, like John Sarno, Fred Amir etc.

4. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I agree with Anne and Gigi. Very few people suddenly "unlock" a repressed memory and are cured. For most people there is a slow lifestyle change involving accepting emotions, both negative and positive. I'm not sure what your specific pain issues are, but for me, fear of the pain was a big part of the problem. I found Claire Weekes' book, Hope and Help for your Nerves, very helpful.

I wish you much success on your healing journey.

5. TomPNY

TomPNY Peer Supporter

I have a bit of input on this. As I read through a lot of posts, it seemed most people were repressing Anger, or some sort of childhood trauma. I felt left out, because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find the trauma, and I had no issue expressing and dealing with anger. It turns out my emotion I am repressing is sorrow. It put me on a whole different path. I don't cry. I don't express sorrow and sadness. I hold those feelings in. So you may need to look beyond.

gailnyc likes this.
  6. Lori

Lori Well known member

I would say you are not able to come up with childhood issues at this time. As you uncover things by journaling or therapy, childhood trauma may then come up.

When I started a program years ago (pre-TMS) we were asked to talk about our childhood, i.e. did we have a happy childhood. Of course I said yes it was great. Then as I started delayering through journaling about feelings (and it took time to learn to FEEL) I remembered things that happened when I was a kid that made me very angry! So it's a process and it takes time. Don't stress it. When it's time, it will come to the surface for processing.

Keep in mind Dr. Sarno saysd 1/3 of our repressed anger is childhood-related. Many professionals agree that our current issues are rooted in childhood.

Best wishes!

Ellen likes this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Dijana,

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about this. Finding a big repressed memory that once uncovered, will allow us to heal, seems like the grail but really isn't. I agree with all the good souls here who advise you to embrace lifestyle changes, aka chill out. Relaxation and pleasure are the healing keys. Don't worry about doubting the whole tms thing either. That's natural. In time it begins to make more sense. Healing is profoundly personal. One day the penny drops and you get it but until then simply be kind to yourself.

Becca, gailnyc and James59 like this.
  8. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Great advice, Plum.