1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Commit Fully

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by street, Feb 26, 2020.

1. street

street Peer Supporter

Well i had a migraine yesterday. I get them every few years nothing to bad it knocks me out for the day with head pain and nausea. Anyway i had very little back pain while i had the migraine. Once the migraine had passed the back pain returned, are the two connected? Or was my brain only capable of concentrating on one pain?!

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Your brain was diverted to the migraine. When that passed the tms started up again in the back. This is very typical.

street likes this.
  3. street

street Peer Supporter

Would structural pain do that as well?

4. miffybunny

Yes sure. The brain cannot distinguish between real or imagined danger. Anything can cause preoccupation. It's up to us to use our conscious mind to see things accurately and respond accordingly.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

All pain signals are generated by the brain. The way it evolved is that cells at the site of a real injury or illness send a danger message to the brain to please send back a sensation so that the human being will pay attention and take appropriate action.

However, in mindbody syndromes, the brain will generate pain and other unpleasant sensations without that request from a physical location - for reasons other than physical danger. One of those reasons is distraction from terrifying emotions. Another reason is simply to keep you worried about possible danger - so that you are constantly on the alert, thinking negatively, scanning the horizon, anxious about everything. Some of us have nervous systems that are addicted to this high state of alert.

Our brains were clearly designed to create pain and other sensations to keep us safe, but the mechanism can go haywire, and medical and psychological history is full of examples, but it feels like it has gone into overdrive in our incredibly complex and stressful modern world. Particularly at about the same time that Dr. Sarno started recognizing back pain symptoms that just didn't make sense from a structural point of view...

It's essential to keep this in mind as you do this work. The fact that the brain can do this on its own is a fact, most easily illustrated by the phenomenon of phantom limb pain, now widely accepted as a serious condition by the the medical and scientific community. It is 100% brain-based, not structural - since there is no limb in existence.

backhand likes this.
  6. miffybunny

I think I may have misunderstood your question. If you are referring to your back pain as structural, then no that is not structural. The brain can be equally distracted by pain that is structural or psychogenic though. Hope that clarifies ! @JanAtheCPA answered it better and more in depth.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  7. street

street Peer Supporter

Thank you makes sense.

8. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Definitely TMS

9. street

street Peer Supporter

Hi all, just a quick update. I am still in pain, it may be slightly better in my back but has been worse in my pelvic region recently. i have come to a realisation that this may be it for me and learning to cope with the pain is my best way of moving forward.
    You see i am stuck in a loop for over 4 years believing tms and then doubting it. A member on here has been so helpful to me listening to my rants!
    I have moments(2-3 hours) of no pain and they are bliss but are they because i took a tramadol that day who knows. Yes i did finally after 3.5 years ask for some pain relief and it helps sometimes other times it just helped my mood which then just helps you cope better. (Opiods is not the answer).
    I am a massive believer in TMS and i still i hope i will get better one day whatever is wrong with me. Having spoke with an expert in the toxicity of this drug he told me i have it! But who knows there is no test and was diagnosed over the phone due to covid.

anyway sorry i just wanted to update this post as who knows it may help someone one day.

i came addicted to browsing this forum and that is not helpful so i shall try and not revisit too often in future . Happy healing to all.

10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't see any indication that you ever actually made a commitment to do the emotional work, got through a program, or accepted the recommendation of therapy. Your fearful brain has you right where it wants you to be. After all the advice, and the successes and proof of TMS that you experienced, it's sad.

street likes this.
  11. street

street Peer Supporter

I hear you Jan, i have really worked on this too much i feel. Not given up but i think i need to take it up a level and get some help as doing this on my own isn’t working. I will keep you updated and lets hope i get my success story real soon. Thank you for telling me how it is!

JanAtheCPA likes this.