1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can you break the TMS cycle?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ed A, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Ed A

Ed A New Member

Perhaps like some of you, I find myself reading, learning, and posting on this forum when I am in terrible pain, and then disappearing back to my private life when all is well. So now I am in terrible neck and shoulder pain, and I am back on the forum, feeling guilty that I have not been able to break the TMS cycle.

And perhaps that is the point: when we build up rage in our subconscious, it's sort of like water filling up in a basement. You can ignore it for so long, but eventually, it requires attention. And if the underlying rage factors remain, then how would the cycle not continue? Thank God for Dr. Sarno's wonderful insights, because it has prevented so many of us from seeking unnecessary surgeries. But I guess my learning from this painful round of TMS is that the rage continues to build in my own subconscious basement.

Do any of you feel this way? Are any of you feeling frustrated that one round of TMS seems to inevitably lead to a later acute relapse, perhaps in a different pain location, and on and on? I sure do wish - as I lie here virtually immobilized on the couch - that there was a way to make the principles of healing TMS stick. I wish to God I could break the cycle, which for me, is about five years.

2. leonardo999

leonardo999 Well known member

Hi

Im totally new to TMS and didnt know it even existed until just a few days ago.... but from what I have read so far.... it seems that.... once you learn to put out the fire once...its a case of... No pain thoughts... Mainainence of relaxation with additional power now knowing you have the ability to put out the fire. ...so next time you smell smoke... youll know what to do.
    Just my thoughts.....

eric watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Ed A hi nice to see you back , sorry to hear about the pain
    sometimes its the stresses we've been exposed to recently, somewhere around the day of
    or the week of or the month before the pain on-set
    other times it is a reservoir overflowing but we always have tools
    what tools are you using at this time- let me know
    do you practice soothing methods as talked about on p.29 of the Mind body prescription
    and also in alan gordons program - its our newest program and its really helped fill my toolbox
    even bigger with tried and tested methods that have worked for me already about 3 times
    let me explain- for some reason I had this pain in my front left side of my belly today
    I told it to stop it did, then it came back, then every time I would think
    or focus in that area the pain would leave,
    then it didn't the third time and I did it under meditation and wham it was gone
    hit me back and let me know the question above and what you try ok-
    I can give you some great threads to help you out
    now to your question- with me I have to practice almost everyday- it is my hobby and might seem like a lot
    but that's how I maintain-
    I do remember yesterday I was getting a little jittery- did I drink to much coffee?
    no I just had to take a nap ya know and let my body naturally regulate
    of course I meditated to sleep - it really helps
    now of course I believe all the folks that stay better after they get the pain to leave do
    have some sort of soothing idea at least twice a week,
    for instance, if you have been stuck in the house to long and haven't went out to socialize
    well socializing can be soothing- on the other hand if you socialize to much , well it could bring on pain
    so to make this story short- have you been soothing and has anything upset and stressed you out around the time of the
    onset of pain- think it over-try soothing these areas - also look into Alan Gordon's program for some
    different spikes of interest that'll really help with helping you get outta pain and back on with your life
    God bless

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

leonardo999- I love those thoughts- simplicity is power

5. leonardo999

Hello Eric
    Hey thanksssssss......Nice to meet you,,,,,,, I always think simply........ I understand things easier that way too
    Regards
    Leo

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

you couldn't have said it better leonardo999
    cant wait to talk more- I have the radio show tonight
    so ill tag ya up sometime -so we can talk about simplicity
    ok- thanks

7. Ed A

Ed A New Member

Leonardo and Eric,

Thanks for the kind suggestions. I can't tell you how comforting your words are to me.

You know, I had a couple of things happen today that might be helpful to others on the forum, so I will share:

1) At the urging of my wife, I went to the chiropractor today. When he asked me what was wrong, I said I had TMS, and this professional, who presumably is all about healing the body, said he didn't know what that was. It infuriated me, and - by the way - he was no help.

2) Later on, while rewatching John Stossel's YouTube video on TMS on 20/20, I found myself getting kind of choked up. Now I'm an American male who watches football and lifts weights - and guys like me don't get weepy over a stupid video. But I did - and I allowed myself to let it out a bit. And you know what? Damn if that wasn't more effective in providing some relief than that ignorant chiropractor.

Hope this helps someone.

Ed

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Ed A this is awesome, the emotion came to consciousness and you released it
    I could never cry all the way till I was like 39 years old
    I just couldn't, and then after watching the 20/20video and reading the books
    after about 3 months into my recovery I had a good cry for the first time since I don't know when
    and wow , the way I felt afterwards -it was so much freedom from the physical pain
    I basically went from an 8 to a two with this style of tension release
    I love lifting weights and watching football
    its a liberating thought to know I can cry and get it off my back now ya know
    just have a good cry about it - I used to hear as I grew up
    now I know exactly what that means-
    god bless

9. leonardo999

Hi Ed A
    Im glad something I said helped.... Im totally new to this and really struggling with problems day and night... and its good to get something out of an idea or a word from someone else.
    I cry too... sometimes over pain that gets in too deep and fears of the ER etc.... and sometimes over something totally happy... like something in nature...........
    Have a good day
    Leoooooo

10. leonardo999

Hello Eric... thanks for the reply.
    Life sure can get tough at times......so the good bits are a big relief.
    Best regards
    Leo