1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Burning Mouth Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by leslie0766, Aug 8, 2013.

1. leslie0766

leslie0766 Peer Supporter

Morning All! I found the TMS website looking for answers to my burning mouth. I can say that my burning mouth now after a week is barely noticeable although that pain has been replaced from time to time by shoulder and neck pain along with increased anxiety, but I see clearly the correlation and the nature of TMS and I kind of smirk at it now. I wanted to post this so that others with "BMS" can have a place to share. I was a member of a BMS website and have encouraged others to come check this out as it has been the answer for me. Happy day!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I first heard of BMS when Dr. Sopher added it to my list of TMS symptoms in Appendix A. Since then I've seen and spoken to several others with it, and it is TMS.

BMS is TMS is CFS is RSD is RSI is OCD is FAI is UTI is VPB is RLS is TMJ. People suffer greatly from acronymitis and never realize it.

The epidemic spreads because they make up new names for the same thing. In the confusion the target is lost.

Steve

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. leslie0766

Steve, this whole business is amazing. I have one sister with RSD and another with Fibro. Our growing up in a home with alcoholics is a thread that binds us and our physical sensations are saying everything we have been unable to say. The three of us are complete "goodists" and would do anything for anyone at the detriment of ourselves. I am facinated! I hold a Master's degree in Counseling and have been searching for years for something I could do with people that has meaning. This has certainly peaked my interest! I did send an email to Dr. Sopher about BMS and he said he was including it in his latest publication and I am very interested to read it. You have both done so much to help other that it must be so rewarding. I have not shared this with anyone in my family yet. I need to do the work and feel the results fully before I try and communicate it to anyone.

Diana Lynne and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Im so glad your here leslie0766.A fresh face and smile.
    I hope to see many exciting post from you.
    Your right where you belong with all that knowledge in counseling.
    Its going to make for some great conversations.
    Wish you only blessings with all you do.

So you just found the sight-Wow- that's cool
    I did too, well sort of- I saw the John Stossel segment with John Sarno
    and it didn't take long for me to realize my goodist personality
    among other things were keeping storms brewing.
    im sure you got all that down. Cant wait to talk more.
    Till then keep it real or keep real at it.

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Hi Eric! How are you feeling?

Leslie, this business is amazing indeed. I did an interview out of southern California a couple months ago and the host had RSD. She started our conversation with, "well I have RSD" ....meaning TMS did not pertain to her. But Dr. Sarno and Sopher healed quite a few people with RSD, so we know it's TMS. It's also clear that fibro is TMS, but don't try to tell people that. I've helped several people heal from fibro, and yet the fibromyalgians will not accept it. The reason is because they need their symptoms.

The symptom itself exists so that the person doesn't have to experience the painful emotions and thoughts, so of course they don't want to hear that it's a mindbody effect. That's why they have it, to protect them from emotional pain, which is far more painful than physical pain. The only people who heal, who are willing to heal, or those that are ready to heal. They've reached a point of awareness, consciousness/acceptance, that they can handle their inner demons. They are ready to face their own fire. The aphorism states, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." But it could well say, "when the student is strong enough, he will free himself."

I hope you use your Masters degree to help people heal. It is the most rewarding thing I've ever done, most likely because it's what we're supposed to be doing.

Steve

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve Ozanich)- The symptom itself exists so that the person doesn't have to experience the painful emotions and thoughts, so of course they don't want to hear that it's a mind body effect. That's why they have it, to protect them from emotional pain, which is far more painful than physical pain. The only people who heal, who are willing to heal, or those that are ready to heal. They've reached a point of awareness, consciousness/acceptance, that they can handle their inner demons. They are ready to face their own fire. The aphorism states, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." But it could well say, "when the student is strong enough, he will free himself."

Eric)- This says it all Steveo, as good as ever in teaching the simplicity of the tms bug-

7. leslie0766

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Everyones enthusiasm is catching. Funny that I had been on a BMS facebook site for a week or so before I found this one. I went back there and made a post that I had found the answer...for ME. Put this website out there for others to explore. Well, some folks with burning mouth got really angry about the suggestion that something other than medication could help. A few very hostile people that really want to hold onto their diagnosis. I have always been a behaviorist at heart denying the subconscious, but don't I have a lot to learn?! :) Yesterday I was telling my daughter about a trip I took home from Italy when my mother was ill about fifteen years ago. Telling the story I was really trying to share a story about the traveling and the distance, but all the sudden I started to cry. VERY unusual for me. She asked me what was wrong and I told her I guess something needed to be let out. I then told her about the human side of the story and it was yet another example of what I have kept in for a very long time. My neighbor is a granola eating, LCSW that is always going on about some repressed something or another. She drives me nuts, but I guess maybe I need to get the old yoga mat out and start doing yoga with her in the yard instead of drinking coffee while I watch her out the window smugly. :)

8. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

Hi Leslie,
    So nice of you to post. I have BMS with the roof of my mouth and lower jaw. Throat. Both Ears and directly under ears. Seems my body is hot but it is not. What can possibly help it. I have tried lots of things. I read Steve’s book but doesn’t really say how to help BMS. Anything would be nice to learn from you. I feel alone in this. Thanks. Anyone can contact me at [email address removed by moderator, see response below]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2023
  9. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

10. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

Wow. I am excited I found this forum. BMS sure is not easy to find info on. I have burning roof of mouth ears jaw areas under ears. Throat. Under throat. Hurts like heck to talk which really is hard socially. I mostly stay home. My body heats up then I am cold. I have pin pricks on my skin that pop up anywhere. Tried almost all alternative therapy after my doc said nothing is wrong with me. Wow. Anyone can email me at [email address removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2023
  11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello @Diana Lynne and welcome. I removed your email address for a couple of reasons, one of which is that it's a really bad idea to post your personal email on any public web page! (You may have been confused by submitting a question to the Ask A TMS Therapist feature, but your email address there is kept private. And that feature, sadly, is inactive, but I can't get anyone to actually deactivate it)

The other reason is that the purpose of the public forum is to share information as a group so that a greater number of individuals can share in a larger pool of advice and resources.

My advice for you is to listen to the very first episodes of a podcast by Nicole Sachs, LCSW who started her podcast, The Cure for Chronic Pain with Nicole Sachs back in 2018. Or just get her book, The Meaning of Truth, which might even be available at your library. She herself suffered from BMS and worse, and completely recovered. She also, before his retirement and before going out on her own, worked side by side with Dr Sarno, so she's the real deal when it comes to doing this work. If you haven't read one of the books by Dr John Sarno, that's the first thing you need to do.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023