1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Brinjikji Reviews: I am confused.

Discussion in 'Research' started by LiSu, Jan 23, 2023.

1. LiSu

LiSu Newcomer

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to the topic of TMS but am totally hooked on it. Just briefly to myself: I suffer from chronic back pain since 2015, on and off. Since I came across TMS some weeks ago, I made great progress.

I was “diagnosed” with disc extrusion which scared me so many years. I definitely identified myself as a person with a “bad back” who needs to be really cautious with everything.

Reading the studies saying that disc extrusions are very common in asymptotic patients, gave me so much hope and took my fear away. Especially the study of Brinjikji about the prevalence in particular age groups.

But then…

I came across the second study from Brinjikji that shows that disc extrusions (as well as disc bulges etc.) are much more common in patients with pain.

This drives my fear up again. What if these pathological changes do not always cause symptoms but cause symptoms a lot of times?

I really wish I never had found that study because it worries me. :(

I really would be interested in your opinion- any comments?

This is the name of the study:
    MRI Findings of Disc Degeneration are More Prevalent in Adults with Low Back Pain than in Asymptomatic Controls: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

http://www.ajnr.org/content/ajnr/36/12/2394.full.pdf

Attached Files:

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It is normal to have doubts about TMS when starting out. Why not give it a try and see how it goes? There are many TMS programs to pick from. On this site we have two that are free, the SEP and Alan Gordon's program. There are also many books by TMS practitioners to choose from, as well as podcasts and other social media sites. Also very good to read the Success Stories on this Forum. I recommend picking a program to follow, doing it about an hour a day, and then going about your life.

Let us know how you're doing and feel free to ask questions any time.

JanAtheCPA likes this.