1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20 Breaking the Habit of Focusing on Your Body

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ines, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ines

Ines Well known member

What are some things you guys do to not focus on your body?

My problem is that there is this very quiet time when I open my eyes in the morning. It's this magical time where I have no head pain. Then, immediately I start scanning my body. How's my head? How's my neck? How's my digestion? How's my back? Then, within a few minutes my head pain starts.

That's how I know it's TMS, but what can I do during that time to not focus on my body? What can I think about or do?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ines. The quiet time while in bed before getting up is one of my favorite times of the day, maybe even the most favorite. I do not scan my body for pain because that would be a sure way for me to feel some pain.

I suggest you spend that quiet time remembering the most peaceful, beautiful times of your life. Or even fantasies, if you have no memories of those times. Imagine yourself with someone you love, together enjoying a peaceful time... at a beach, an island on a secluded lake... Feel the warmth and calmness around you. Imagine yourself being hugged or loved. I can even feel that wonderful peace by remembering walks with my dog in a park.

You are going to be fine. The SEProgram will help you to relax and be well again.

Ellen and Ines like this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thanks Walt. I've been ok for 2 days and this morning I did it again. I just worry about everything and stress myself out. The SEP is helping a lot but I notice if I do not journal and meditate and stop my shallow breathing throughout the day I find myself in a bad place again. So, I just have to keep at it. Thank you for your advice. You are very kind. Have a good day : )