1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking pain reinforcement help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bk1959, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Bk1959

Bk1959 Peer Supporter

I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to educate myself about some new ways of thinking. But still really need some help and suggestions about how to break the pain obsessing.
    When I can I try to tell myself these are just sensations, I am safe, etc. But there are definitely times, for example, when I’m driving, if I get my leg into a position, I cannot move it, either while I’m driving or when I’m ready to exit the car, without an incredible amount of pain. I am at a loss as to how to think about this other than “as soon as I move my leg, it will hurt!”

Thanks for any insights you may be able to give.
    Barbara

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

According to Sarno that is when you "turn your mind to a persistent source of irritation" like a financial or personal problem. THat is where the rubber meets the road in reconditioning. That exact moment is actually the crux of TMS and therefore the most opportune time to make a rapid sataement to your unconscious .."I am not believing you anymore....I don't need your help or a distraction..."

I got pain free in about a month employing that strategy...and yes it is NOT easy, but extraordinarily effective.

Ellen and backhand like this.
  3. Bk1959

Bk1959 Peer Supporter

So, your saying that instead of thinking about which way to move my leg, I need to start thinking about how I’m going to pay my credit card bill? Will definitely try it!

thanks

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

It's good to have something ready. I used a bad music business deal. Anytime I caught my attention going to the pain, I thought about the guy who burned me for Money.... and it worked.