1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Break through or break down?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by runagain, Jun 18, 2013.

1. runagain

runagain New Member

I've only just joined...
    I am about one month into TMS acceptance. I've been 'diggin in the dirt' to identify what is upsetting me so much that i have to repress it. I've made good ground. Today, I was journalling and wrote from the heart. I admitted to myself something that I had been trying to avoid for quite some time. It made me cry painfully and deep. My symptoms eased a little - break through! However, the nature of what I have remembered is so upsetting (the last time I felt this I wasn't coping and my marriage almost ended) that it feels more like I might break down.
    Deep, deep insecurity, lack of self belief,, loneliness and anxiety about the future.
    Daniel

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Yes, sometimes it's unpleasant to dig up these feelings, but they need to be processed to get out of us. I recommend journaling about your feelings. FEEL what needs to be felt. and always end with a positive note--something learned--something discovered about yourself--something as simple as "I'm ready to heal this".
    Powerful stuff! It does work.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Ending the journaling session with a positive affirmation may help you resolve whatever issues come up. One reason people journaling can make us feel upset is that we are not use to getting in touch with these emotions. The more you get in touch with your emotions, the more you will realize how harmless they are, and you will become more comfortable in expressing them.

4. AndrewMillerMFT

AndrewMillerMFT Well known member

I concur with Forest, affirmations are helpful to finish with at the end of a journaling session. Additionally, one may ask, on the page: "What do (we) need to do to finish this journaling session?" Spend a moment in quite reflection and see what comes up. Many times an answer will arise that will provide a bit of closure. I say, "we" because "we" invites the idea that there are parts of you that need some help that the conscious "you" can provide. This can be the beginning of self-compassion.

Additionally, I highly recommend working with a professional in the field who can help you during the often activating and triggering time when people first begin doing PPD work.

Forest likes this.