1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!
  1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My mother lived to be 94 and one of the things that kept her going like a Duracell battery was
    a small glass of brandy before dinner. She liked blackberry brandy the best and so do I.

Long ago when I was in the army in Germany a buddy and I decided to spend Christmas in a Catholic country that no other GIs knew about, so we chose Belgium. We got up before dawn
    to catch a trolley from our kaserne (army camp) in a suburb into the city of Frankfurt and had a half-hour wait for a train to take us along the Rhine river to Brussels. Our stomachs were queasy so we left the hauptbahnholf (main railroad station) and went across the street to a gasthaus (tavern) and ordered blackberry brandy. (I had remembered my mother said it settled upset stomachs). The portly, red-faced waiter smiled, rubbed his stomach, and poured us each a small glass of the elixir that heals stomach aches and leaves you in a mellow mood. It worked instantly to calm our queasy stomachs and gave us a mellow feeling.

Maybe doctors ought to prescribe blackberry brandy instead of pain-killers.

Mom didn't die of any disease at 94, she just "tired-out." She had recovered from a fall in which she had broken one hip, then about six months later fell again and broke the other hip. She said she just wasn't up to the therapy for the second hip and also was ready to go and meet the Lord.

Before she died, she said that she had an "ethereal" visit from some angels or someones, telling her they would soon be taking her to a beautiful place she would like very much. I never remembered Mom knowing the word "ethereal" or what it meant. But she spoke of it just before going to paradise.

Al this comes to mind because of just having poured a small glass of blackberry brandy. It may be a placebo, but what a way to go! It does more to relax me than an Advil or anything else.

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I cherish everything I read from you Walt. I love these small reminisces that you share, glimpses into our own history, into ourselves. I feel honored to be able to read them. You bring it alive. I'm compelled to start a thread called Walt's Memories. Maybe you will write it out sometime, to heal some wounds and to close some doors, and to open others.

North Star and Rinkey like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Steve, you made my day. I appreciate you so very much. You're a great new friend.
    Actually, I've written a sort-of Walt's Memories in my ten chapters for the book I'm writing with Herbie.
    I'm going to email them to you. They all come from my journaling.

You and I both have what few other people seem to have today... a sense of humor.
    Almost everyone who posts to the forums is so serious.
    No one can ever really heal their TMS symptoms without being able to laugh at life, their pain, and themselves.

I'll email you my 10 chapters now. Take your time to read them.

Have a great day.

4. Becca

Becca Well known member

I think one of the most important and fantastic things I've learned in life is how to laugh at myself. There are certainly times that require us to be serious, but being serious too often is just exhausting. Sometimes you just have to look at the mistakes you've made, the things you've done or said (both in the near-past or they way-back-then past), realize just how ridiculous they (and you) were, and just laugh at yourself! Take it from someone who used to take everything too seriously: it's incredibly freeing :)

Rinkey likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Becca. Yes, not taking ourselves so seriously all the time, and our symptoms, can reduce stress
    and our pain. I can't laugh everything off all the time, and don't try to, but when I feel like life has me
    by the throat, I try laughing and it always calms me down.

What we worried about yesterday didn't happen and if we worry about it today, it won't happen tomorrow.
    In most cases. Not all. But in the other cases, laughing can help.

The Lord must have a wonderful sense of humor. He made me. Imperfect me.

Rinkey likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I totally agree Walt this is such a cool thread. I was getting serious about some issues today and I thought how can I laugh at this. Then I read your post and I couldn't drink brandy, it was still working hours ya know. Then I thought about some funny thoughts from my past and I actually started feeling a lot less serious or pressured. When we think we got it covered and all bases touched, life has a way of keeping you on your toes by bringing more issues or problems, but if you look at those problems with a smile and think this is going to help me become more better in my judgment and also ill learn from it.
    Well its hard to keep thinking problems with a smile on your face and you thinking this is going to help me grow and you have a small glass of brandy.
    Bless you

Rinkey likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Sometimes I think Life is one big joke.
    The Lord has to have a big sense of humor.

Rinkey and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  8. Jill Pensom

Jill Pensom New Member

Hello Walt,
    I loved your post about blackberry brandy. It was truly heartwarming on a rainy, dismal London day.
    Cheers!

Rinkey and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I was in London for a week, many years ago, and wore my London Fog raincoat every day,
    but it was only foggy, not rainy. I loved London. So much to see and do.
    And the trifles at Pam Pams in Picadilly Circus were delicious.

10. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Walt,

Fantastic story, you cheered me up :)

11. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

big fan of Brandy myself so going to make some! thanks Walt, you have a great way of telling stories.

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I may uncork the blackberry brandy bottle. All was going well in the new year until today.
    My toilet is blocked up. I've tried a plunger but it hasn't helped. I'll google for some advice
    and if that fails, call a plumber. My house is wishing me a Happy New Year in its own way.
    Like my subconscious, wanting me to think about it and myself and reminding me that nothing lasts forever except a dog's love.

Happy New Year everyone!

tarala likes this.
  13. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

So glad this older thread was revived since I missed it the first time around. I am going to go to the liquor store and buy some blackberry brandy. And then, later, when the house is quiet, I will offer a toast up to you, Walt.

You are such a treasure!

Forest likes this.