1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Boy, this sure seems like TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Murphy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Murphy

Murphy Peer Supporter

Hey Eveyone,

I have been doing physical things with less fear lately thanks to this forum which I really appreciate.

Does this sound like TMS to you guys?

I wake up in the morning without pain. Typically every morning pain free. As I lay there in bed and my mind starts to engage, I find it asking the question "Hey where is the pain?" after another couple of minutes the pain begins, first a dull ache and tightness followed by my whole body feeling pain. I tend to worry and focus on my symptoms, I am really trying hard to ignore them and move along, find my triggers. My symptoms tend to be pain and anxiety. I have a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia which I believe is just another term for severe TMS. Has anyone had success trying to ignore anxiety and worry the same way they ignore pain? I am on day 8 of the SEP and am really hopeful.

Thanks everyone, this forum and wiki are a blessing.

Murphy

2. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Hi Murphy,
    I'm a beginner too - day 4 of the programme. I've been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I'm beginning to wonder too whether what I've got is severe TMS. One of my main problems is anxiety and I'm hoping this work will help with that. I'm hopeful too!
    If anyone could comment on anxiety that would be helpful!
    Rainbow

3. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

I'm certain that my years and years of chronic anxiety have been manifesting as chronic pain. It's all the same thing...TMS. Dr. Sarno and other TMS doctors consider Anxiety, Fibromyalgia, and CFS to by TMS equivalents for sure.

I'm trying to ignore the anxiety as best as I can. Personally, I would much rather have the pain than the anxiety. For some reason, I am getting a good dose of both. Slow, deep breathing seems to help me lots and reminds me to stay in the present moment.

Treat it all as TMS and know that true healing is possible, because it is.

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

Hi. How about instead of letting your mind go down the "where is the pain?" road, counter it with a positive statement (that does NOT include the word pain).
    If you expect the pain to appear, it likely will!

Anxiety can cause physical symptoms for sure. I have a slight headache right now which I'm sure is due to anxiety anticipating the arrival of hurricane-force winds as Sandy makes landfall here in NJ within the hour.

5. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Thanks folks. Good luck Lori - hope it's not too bad. x

6. Murphy

Murphy Peer Supporter

I am trying to treat anxiety as a TMS equivalent for sure. I am going through a pretty stressful time right now, and the manifestations seem to be pain and anxiety. I've been running in the mornings even though there is some pain, trying to re-train myself that it is not a structural issue, but instead the pain is protective. I've been working the program for awhile and trying not to be outcome dependent, but there are rough days. I'm still hoping for the best.