1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kkcarlton, Jul 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Hi,

I have read Unlearn Your Pain, The Great Pain Deception, and Healing Back Pain. I am looking for another book to read on the subject of TMS and am trying to decided between the following three. I would love people's opinions about which have helped the most, particularly when it comes to overcoming unbelief.

The Divided Mind
    You are The Placebo
    The Mind Body Prescription

Thank you...

2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    Yes. Seriously.
    I have not read it for many years and picked it up the other day. It addresses TMS exactly. I was quite delighted and enchanted.

Here are some quotes:

“Of course there must be lots of Magic in the world,” he said wisely one day, “but people don’t know what it is like or how to make it. Perhaps the beginning is just to say nice things are going to happen until you make them happen. I am going to try and experiment.”

“Much more surprising things can happen to anyone who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, just has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable, determinedly courageous one. Two things cannot be in one place.”

“I am sure there is Magic in everything, only we have not sense enough to get hold of it and make it do things for us”

“One of the new things people began to find out in the last century was that thoughts—just mere thoughts—are as powerful as electric batteries—as good for one as sunlight is, or as bad for one as poison. To let a sad thought or a bad one get into your mind is as dangerous as letting a scarlet fever germ get into your body. If you let it stay there after it has got in you may never get over it as long as you live… surprising things can happen to any one who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, just has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable determinedly courageous one. Two things cannot be in one place.”

“Sometimes since I’ve been in the garden I’ve looked up through the trees at the sky and I have had a strange feeling of being happy as if something was pushing and drawing in my chest and making me breathe fast. Magic is always pushing and drawing and making things out of nothing. Everything is made out of magic, leaves and trees, flowers and birds, badgers and foxes and squirrels and people. So it must be all around us. In this garden – in all the places.”

“I shall live forever and ever and ever ‘ he cried grandly. ‘I shall find out thousands and thousands of things. I shall find out about people and creatures and everything that grows – like Dickon – and I shall never stop making Magic. I’m well I’m well”

“Of course there must be lots of Magic in the world, but people don’t know what it is like or how to make it.”

“And they both began to laugh over nothing as children will when they are happy together. And they laughed so that in the end they were making as much noise as if they had been two ordinary healthy natural ten-year-old creatures—instead of a hard, little, unloving girl and a sickly boy who believed that he was going to die.”

“He had made himself believe that he was going to get well, which was really more than half the battle.”

“How does thee like thyself?”

“That is the Magic. Being alive is the Magic—being strong is the Magic. The Magic is in me—the Magic is in me.”

“But the calm had brought a sort of courage and hope with it. Instead of giving way to thoughts of the worst, he actually found he was trying to believe in better things.”

We all have Magic within us.
    ... always with Love and Gratitude ^_^

plum likes this.
  3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

The books you have read basically cover most of what you need to know.
    A fourth book at most will have a slightly different (confusing) approach to a certain theme in TMS. The only thing beneficial is that it will throw even more examples of clear TMS cases at you.
    So therefore I second Lily's suggestion.

Lily Rose likes this.
  4. pspa

pspa Well known member

No more books. Read alan gordon,s posts the last two weeks it is all in there. If u must read a book back sense ron siegel.