1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

BENEFITS OF EXERCISE WITH TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Sep 17, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Exercise May Be the Most Effective Weapon Against Aging

Dr. Sarno, Steve Ozanich, Dr. Scott Brady, and other crusaders for TMS healing all encourage those with TMS-induced pain to not let it stop them from continuing with daily activities such as working, house cleaning, shopping, etc. They also suggest resuming exercise, but that can depend on the individual, or at least how much physical exercise they can or should do.

A recent article tells how exercise can keep us to be healthier and slow down the aging process.

Keeping active may be the secret to staying young for both mice and men. Researchers from Canada’s McMasterUniversity discovered that endurance exercise could halt the aging process in a group of mice, even though they were genetically engineered to age faster.

These furry creatures continued to exhibit the same youthful appearance as normal mice after engaging in a treadmill exercise routine over a period of several months. In addition, the exercise program prevented premature aging in almost every organ of the morphed mice.

The results of the analysis indicate that not only can exercise help to prevent an early death, it can also delay the aging process. The researchers said that the exercise routine provided nearly 100 percent protection against graying fur, hair loss, brain and muscle atrophy, and more.

According to lead study author Mark Tarnopolsky, a professor of pediatrics and medicine at McMaster's DeGroote School of Medicine, “What really shocked us was the gonads, the spleen, liver -- every tissue we looked at was made better with the exercise. It has a systemic effect and even prevented a slight shrinkage of the brain.”

The mice in the study were genetically engineered to have an age-inducing defect in their cell powerhouses, known as mitochondria. As mitochondria age, less energy is generated for cells in the body to run on. The mice were assigned to either an exercise or non-exercise group. The exercise group was forced to jog at a brisk pace on a treadmill for 45 minutes, three times weekly.

After a five-month period, the researchers found that prevention of premature aging had occurred among all the mice in the exercise group. While these mighty mice remained active and looked as young as ever, the sedentary mice were inactive, more socially isolated, and less fertile, as well as balding and turning gray. Whereas the muscle tissue of the active mice was found to be completely normal, the tissue of the inactive mice showed signs of damage.

But the biggest discovery was seen in the mitochondria of the morphed mice. The mitochondria among these mice had gone from damaged to young and healthy. Experts have long-suspected that the accumulation of mitochondrial DNA mutations over the lifespan leads to the progressive decline in tissue and organ function, which results in aging.

Tarnopolsky noted that the results of the study are applicable to humans and he is hopeful that the outcome for the exercising mice will motivate people to get on the move. He remarked, “When you see the video with the mice barely moving and their sisters moving around healthy, that may shock them into getting their butts off the couch and get some exercise.”
    Previous studies on genetically engineered, premature-aging mice have included calorie restriction and a variety of drugs that have had far less promising results. Regarding the benefits of exercise on health, Tarnopolsky pointed out, “Many people falsely believe that the benefits of exercise will be found in a pill. We have clearly shown that there is no substitute for the ‘real thing’ of exercise when it comes to protection from aging.”

The good news is that it’s never too late to get on that treadmill. Tarnopolsky noted that studies have shown that even those who have spent far too much time being sedentary can still reap the benefits of exercise, and gain energy, mobility and promote healthier organs. Take Tarnopolsky’s advice to “Get moving, get active and get your kids moving while they are young.”

The road to fitness just may lead to the fountain of youth.

It’s not in the article, but I believe that the miraculous fountain is located along the pathway to TMS healing.

yb44, Eric "Herbie" Watson and G.R. like this.
  2. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Walt,
    Thanks for taking the time to print that study. Very interesting and inspiring. For me, even if I have some pain I still try to
    do some exercise. I find it so empowers me. Thank you for your wonderful posts; I glean so much from each one.
    G.R.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is great to know Walt.
    I read a book by Dr. Bob Arnot when I was like 17
    Its called turning back the clock.

It showed how we can gain muscle and stop density loss in bone.
    no matter what age we start to exercise.

It showed the bone and muscle of a 75 year old man
    compared to the bone and muscle of a 17 year old male
    The results of both after exercise were exactly the same
    The elder benefited as much as the younger.

I thought that was such good news to know
    and now you have more evidence to back it up

Ive always felt better after being able to exercise
    I know some have so much pain its not on the list of agendas for now
    but as soon as the pain resides from resolving emotional conflict
    its on to exercise as Dr. Sarno advices

I like how you put house chores and such in there as exercise
    most folks don't look at it that way but that's exactly what it is ( Exercise)

Keep em coming Walt- that was a good one
    Id say in a heartbeat that Exercise and Tms healing is the fountain of Youth

I don't think anyone would argue that....

God bless

yb44 likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, GR and Herbie,

I'm glad the article on exercise and aging was helpful.
    I wasn't sure but thought it had TMS applications.

For me, at 83, housework is definitely a form of exercise.
    I believe it is for most people, including unpaid, unsalaried housewives.
    Keeping a house or apartment clean is often no easy chore.

Friends offered to give my bathroom a real good clean the next time
    they came over to my house. I felt so guilty, I did it myself,
    even scrubbing the floor on my hands and knees.
    I did it with minimal back pain and that went away within an hour.

I felt so good looking at the clean bathroom afterwards
    and knowing I did it myself.

I just won't get on ladders anymore.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I recently read an article about how women's waistlines have grown over the years due to all of our timesaving devices which have caused some of us to become couch potatoes. Back several decades ago women had to sweep and mop floors, not to mention walk and cycle to everywhere. These activities led to a much greater level of fitness and all that sweeping and mopping was great exercise for their waistlines.

I have a relative who runs marathons all over the world. He is 45 and just completed a race/trek up Mt St Helen's in Washington (http://volcanic50.com) It took him 11 hours, part of which was spent scrambling up rather than running up the volcano or taking detours to help others experiencing difficulties (I especially like this bit). He mentioned there was a 100 year old man in Toronto who ran a marathon in 8 hours. Will look this up for further inspiration once I finish sweeping the floor. :D