1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Beginning

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by peterson1143, Jul 17, 2016.

1. peterson1143

peterson1143 New Member

I have been aware of Dr. Sarno's work for many years. It always resonated with me, but the structure of this program gives me great hope that I can systematically do this work. I believe this is my issue, but the words of my daughter and chiro are pretty strong... That if I just have knee surgery, it will solve my problems. I am very knock-kneed, but I fit with MTS in so many ways... My personality, stress-induced onset, and moving pain.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

So why not complete the Structured Educational Programme and see if you get rid of the pain? It can only give you greater understanding of yourself - and if it was really a 'structural', mendable knee problem, you could get it fixed then. But so many people have surgery and do not get any better. Only you can decide....

TG957 and plum like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweetheart, it does well to ask yourself why you would privilege the opinions of other people over your heartfelt sense and deeper knowing of your own experience and understanding of what it is to be *you*. Fear, people-pleasing, uncertainty and the like are the very lifeblood of tms. Hecate is right, and to her words I would add this is not an either/or situation. Too many people lock themselves into black and white thinking and tms is a sour fruit of this because such categorical thinking creates stress and tension. Knee surgery may fix your knee but it won't heal your mind. Even if you elect to have surgery, I would suggest incorporating tms healing into the pre and post-op protocol. Do the physio and the psychological work.

Many of the people here, including myself, will attest to the fact that tms healing is life-changing. Take the plunge and welcome to the forum.

Plum x

hecate105 and Ines like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't let others tell you that surgery is necessary. A niece had both knees replaced and still is in pain. She is a high school health adviser and that is very stressful work. I am telling her about TMS because I think that is causing her pain.

By all means, continue in the SEProgram and see how you feel afterwards.

5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Nothing illustrates the idea of "valuable" medical advice coming from doctors and relatives when it comes to TMS better than this 20/20 segment from years ago.

In this case, advice comes from a brother who is a Harvard-trained doctor, himself suffering from severe back pain. I stopped listening to my MD brother-in-law after watching this video.

6. peterson1143

peterson1143 New Member

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts.... Yes, I am committing myself to the program before I consider surgery. I am so grateful for this structured program. Reading Dr. Sarno's work resonated, but I need to dig deeper. This support group is great too! Finishing up Day 3 today.