1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Begin Writing Your Own Story

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by o1729ii, Sep 29, 2018.

1. o1729ii

o1729ii New Member

Hello Everyone,

I started getting terrible pain from typing a few months ago. At first, wearing wrist splints helped tremendously, as did some ergonomic changes to my office. But now the pain is still persisting, with no cure or remedy in sight, other than the often-futile stretching, injections, and surgery. Although I am fortunate that it is not totally debilitating, I hope that I can go back to my previous self - working as much as I want without fear of pain.

After finding this forum last week, I am slowly coming to the realization that I may have TMS. The first indicator is that my pain has persisted, despite several months of me trying conventional approaches. The second is realizing that the original onset of the pain was not isolated. In the same few weeks I also had an episode of almost fainting and a >24hr period of vertigo. The last piece of evidence I have is that I realized that I am under a lot of stress. I can handle my stress very well, and have been very successful in my professional life. Still, I can see how a lot of that stress can be bad for me. I can see that I am a very closed-off person, and there must be many repressed emotions which I do not allow myself to feel.

I do have doubts and worries. I worry that I won't be able to let my emotions out. I worry that I am too "rational" of a person. I worry that even if the pain goes away, it will only be temporary.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great first post @o1729ii, and welcome to the forum and the SEP! Give yourself a lot of credit for being here, because that's a huge first step.

The best advice I can give you is to let go of that fear we all have: of Letting Go and becoming vulnerable. You only need to be vulnerable to yourself; you don't have to share it with the world. This was one of the hardest things I had to learn how to do, but I have to tell you it changed everything.

Above all, consider this: truly loving ourselves is often really hard, but you need to love yourself enough to really know, in your heart, that you deserve to recover.