1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Battling anxiety and tension today

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by beckyMA, Feb 10, 2016.

1. beckyMA

beckyMA New Member

i have felt tension starting to form in my neck this evening, and now I am feeling the precursor to a tension headache, tightness in my head and mild pain at the temples. I'm trying to "talk myself out of it" but the anxiety is growing that this will develop into a full fledged headache and possibly migraine. I know I'm anxious and nervous about an upcoming vacation my husband and I are taking with our 2 young kids...to Florida, Disney, the whole shebang. It's the first time we've traveled with our kids, and all the preparation and planning that goes into this trip is getting to me, and I'm afraid something will go wrong, or I'll forget to pack something we need,etc. I fully realize, on the conscious level, that this doubt and anxiety is building in me and trying to manifest itself in a headache. This is my first teal "test" I think since I've been doing this TMS program. Any support and advice and encouraging words would be great right about now!!!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Becky. The upcoming trip with the kids can be stressful, but try to think of it as being lots of fun for everyone. And if you forget to pack some things, you can always buy them later or probably do without them.

beckyMA likes this.
  3. ElizabethG

ElizabethG Peer Supporter

Hi Becky! Sorry things are stressful right now. I hear you about talking yourself out of it. Not sure if this would work for your headaches/migraines but when I start to realize that talking myself out of it becomes a struggle (because I have too many things going on or I don't know the emotional cause), I take an extra strength Tylenol (or two) and then refuse to give it anymore time in my brain. And I let go of the fear of taking the medicine (because I prefer not to take anything). Most of the time I can't afford to let the headache go too far because I have two little kids as well and when my headaches get bad I'm pretty useless. As far as the trip... make a list. When I have a few days to prepare for a trip I start a list and add things each day as I remember more items. That always helps me and I rarely forget anything essential - night lights, favorite stuffed animals, chargers for phones and ipads, the right spill proof cups etc. I read something on the TMS Recovery Program page about prioritizing yourself - it's essentially - what's more important, worrying about making the trip perfect or feeling content that you can take your family to Disney. Or something along those lines. You are truly blessed to have this opportunity, take some of the pressure off and enjoy it. If that seems really difficult to do, maybe journal about why that might be... if it doesn't relieve the pressure, it could at least lead you to a trigger or emotional cause for the pain. Hoping you feel some relief soon and have a great trip!

beckyMA likes this.
  4. beckyMA

beckyMA New Member

Thank you for your tips, Elizabeth ... That really helps! I'm trying to focus more on the positive aspects of my life rather than get anxious about the stresses and potentials for problems to arise. Living in the moment and appreciating what I have going for me right now is not something that comes naturally to me, but it's so worth working towards! I've been journaling and trying g to connect with my emotions and triggers and it seems to be helping. I haven't had a headache in almost 2 weeks which is almost a record for me!

ElizabethG likes this.
  5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Becky. I'm just getting over a recent bout with headaches--it's been about a month since I've had a full-fledged one. What a miracle!
    When I was first talking to my subC about them, I found something that helped. It sounds crazy, but I put some Biofreeze at the base of my skull when the headaches begin. It's just over the counter--like Ben Gay without the smell. It relaxes those muscles enough that I can then talk to my subC. In the first week I used it a lot. Now I don't find that i need it.

beckyMA likes this.
  6. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

One thing that really helps me prior to taking a trip is going over the checklist. My husband and I love to travel, and we've put together a few master lists over the years. We have one for if we're tent camping, and one for when we're flying. Periodically we update them, but they really give us peace of mind at nothing major has been forgotten!

beckyMA likes this.
  7. ElizabethG

ElizabethG Peer Supporter

Yay!! That's awesome - so excited for you! Enjoy the journey. :)