1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back pain advise

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Jul 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

As members who are familiar with my posts know I suffer from anxiety and depression and suppressed anger and emotional stress. I am going through a lot of stress at the moment with anxiety and being suffering dental pain, headaches and occasional muscle cramp in my right calf of my leg.

Anyway, this morning when I woke up I lifted the quilt covers to go into the lounge and lie on the sofa. Whilst walking into the lounge carrying the quilt I got a sudden shock pain in my upper back which is now giving me pain and I have been spending all day lying in the sofa with a heat pad on my back.

I am sure this is nothing but TMS even though the cause of it happening was carrying the quilt into the lounge. Should I just carry on doing things and exercise and just float through the pain like what Claire Weekes mentions about anxiety?

Also, its worth mentioning that I have sometimes been experiencing severe cramp in my left leg calf muscle even though I don’t stretch or move my leg for it to happen. It seems to come on when I feel muscle twitches in the calf muscle.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Artmuzz.
    It might be time to have a good talk with your subconscious, what I call the subC. I first encountered this technique when I read Sarno's book Healing Back Pain. The idea is to break the TMS pain cycle by calling out your subC. When I challenge mine, I say something like, “I know there's nothing organically wrong, and you think you’re trying to protect me, it this is not effective. Let me feel the anxiety and the emotional pain, and get the hell out of my _____ (body part.)"
    One of my first clues that a pain is TMS is that the pain moves. Then I know that I can eventually beat it!
    You can do this! Blessings on the journey.
    Gigi

3. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

Thanks for the reply and helpful advise. I think the problem with me is that no matter how much I dislike pain, I’d rather have it over anxiety and emotional pain. I’ve noticed that when I’m not experiencing back pain, headaches, dental pain and other pain my anxiety and emotional stress gets more severe.