1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

As a Man Thinketh

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Enrique, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

James Allen's book, As a Man Thinketh, was published in 1902 and is his best known work. I read this 20 yrs ago and just absolutely loved it. I was at a point in my life where I was learning for the first time about the power of our thoughts, the power of the words we use, the power of our subconscious mind. I was very enthusiastic about it all. This book is one that I re-read quite often.

After I learned about TMS and was cured of my chronic pain, many of the words from his book had so much new meaning to me. Every time I re-read this I'm amazed at how these words were written over 100 years ago. The chapter that rings loudly for me most is the one on Effect of Thought on Health and Body (http://james-allen.in1woord.nl/?text=as-a-man-thinketh#c3).

A few quotes from that chapter:
    "Disease and health, like circumstances, are rooted in thought"
    "Anxiety quickly demoralizes the whole body, and lays it open to the, entrance of disease"
    "If you would protect your body, guard your mind."

Mr. Allen was very observant....

MorComm and Beach-Girl like this.
  2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Thanks Enrique:

This sounds interesting. I'm getting a back-log of books to read. Mainly due to time constraints, but I'm going to keep this one in mind!

BG

3. happystar

happystar Peer Supporter

I think I need to read this book!! Thank you Enrique!
    Is there a list of recomended books on TMS on this forum?

4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This is just another great reason to think psychologically and stay positive. The more we worry about how we are doing or ask "When am I going to get better" th emore anxiety we are creating and the more we are feeding TMS. Protecting our body invovles investigating these anxieties and finding ways to turn negatives into positives.

Enrique and Beach-Girl like this.
  6. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Yep! So True! Having some patience about it is important. It sometimes takes many weeks for my pain to fully 100% go away.