1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Arthritis and TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Renee, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Renee

Renee Well known member

Hi Everyone,

I started having neck pain in July of 2014 on the left side. It started with subtle popping noises when I moved my neck and then became full blown pain. I've read a couple of Dr. Sarno's books and Steve Ozanich's wonderful book.

My MRI states: "At C3-C4 there is minimal disc desiccation and minimal concentric disc osteophyte complex. Small central annular fissure. Mild bilateral facet arthrosis, more advanced on the left. There is left sided facet joint edema and enhancement, with posterior synovial cyst measuring approximately 6mm. Periarticular inflammatory changes are also present. The central canal is widely patent. There is mild stenosis of the left C4 neural foramen. The right C4 foramen appears to be widely patent."

My doctor told me that this basically means I have arthritis. To me everything points to TMS but I am having trouble believing arthritis is TMS because it has been talked about so much as something that just happens when you age. In the books I've read on TMS arthritis is only mentioned in passing and I guess I just need more information on this specific subject to be able to understand how it might be TMS or not. Hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I was 82 and had no pain that could be considered arthritis until I lifted a heavy case of beer in a supermarket and felt severe back pain.
    It turned out not to be structural but TMS from repressed childhood emotions.

You say you haven't found much about arthritis in your reading, but Dr. Sarno discusses it in his groundbreaking TMS book, Healing Back Pain.
    Let's see what he says...

On p. 148 he says that autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis are part of how the emotions may influence any of the organs and systems of the body. TMS is an example of a mind-body disorder mediated through the autonomic nervous system, while the immune system is not invovled becaue he suspects that the immune system does not participate in the interaction of emotions and the cardiovascular system.

I thought that my back ache was because of aging and was the onset of arthritis, so I worried about that, until I read Dr. Sarno. Now I just lump arthritis among the other pains we can get from TMS emotions, whether from repressed childhood emotions or a perfectionist or goodist personality.

I'd stay away from pain killers and surgery.

Dida8349 and honey badger like this.
  3. Renee

Renee Well known member

Thanks Walt! I bought the cd version of that book and unfortunately it is abridged. Years ago after hearing Howard Stern talk about Dr. Sarno on his radio show I bought The Mind Body Prescription. I have had life long pelvic pain, so I brought this book in to an appointment with my psychologist who said there was no correlation. But since this neck pain started I've come to the realization that my pelvic pain is TMS as well.

In the past year regarding the neck pain everything I have tried has not brought me one second of pain relief. I can't take pain pills because they make me sick which is a good thing. I reluctantly tried steroid injections which were a waste of time and money. I will never consider surgery. I am not a fan of doctors and the medical community after suffering through a needless surgery in the 80's for the pelvic pain, and being treated so poorly by doctors as I tried to find treatment for it.

I definitely have most of the TMS personality traits. I think the missing link for me is learning some kind of meditation or relaxation. I've tried a few but haven't found a good fit for me. I'm thinking about buying Claire Weekes' anxiety book.

Are you out of pain now?

4. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Walt, you are my hero...Lifting a case of beer, eh :)

Any how, Renee, arthritis IS TMS!!! If you have read Steve's book he had stenosis and arthritis in his spine....Regular osteo is TMS!

Thanks,

Kalo

newarrior and honey badger like this.
  5. Renee

Renee Well known member

Of course you are right Kalo. I went back and read chapter 3 and sure enough there it was! I read his book last year before I got any tests done and didn't know what was happening with me. When I went back and read this part yesterday it was like I was reading it for the first time. Thank you.

honey badger likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Kalo, Since learning about TMS two years ago I rarely drink beer anymore. I find that hot milk with a little honey is even more relaxing.
    And a cup of milk weighs a lot less than a case of 30 cans of beer and costs less too.

7. blake

blake Well known member

Hi Renee,

I've been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and told it's what was causing my pain. I discovered tms about a year ago and have been working on my repressed emotions since then. I'm not completely pain free yet, but I have very long stretches of time without pain. I can definitely say that in my case the arthritis in my neck is definitely tms. Of all the things I've tried since I started having pain 7 years ago, tms is the only thing that has provided relief and, more importantly, given me back my sense of hope.

Best of luck on your journey.

Blake

honey badger and Anne Walker like this.
  8. Renee

Renee Well known member

Thanks Blake. Long stretches of time without pain sounds wonderful. You are right, hope is so very important to healing.

9. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I think there's a lot of evidence linking the appearance of osteoarthritic aches and pains with the strong emotions, suggesting, to me at least, that traumatic life events can trigger arthritis. The orthodox MDs would say that dark emotions such as depression and sorrow are the result of the osteoarthritis rather than the cause of course. In any case, your subjective experience of pain is much stronger if your unhappy or depressed. It's one more of those perennial "chicken or the egg" debates.

10. Mala

Mala Well known member

@Renee , I don't know how old u r but most ppl even in their 30s will have some of the changes to their spine that u mentioned were in yours. Facet joint degeneration is very common but according to Dr sarno it should not cause pain. And MRI report readings are extremely difficult to interpret and even many seasoned medical professionals will have different views on the same scan. Why don't u treat it as TMS, do the SEP & see where it goes.

Good Luck

Mala

11. Renee

Renee Well known member

So true Bruce.

12. Renee

Renee Well known member

Thanks Mala. I wasn't really sure where to start. This is the most comprehensive and generous website I have ever seen. Wouldn't it be something if I could not only be free of the neck pain but also from the life long pelvic pain that has affected every aspect of my life?

13. Mala

Mala Well known member

@Renee there r many success stories of ppl here who r now pain free after having suffered for many years with chronic pain. Pls use those as your inspiration.

Also feel free to post as much or as little as u wish depending on how u feel. We r here to help & u can also ask the TMS experts for their advice too.

Mala

14. newarrior

newarrior Peer Supporter

Which book are you referring to buy somebody named Steve? Thanks

15. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

16. newarrior

newarrior Peer Supporter

Thanks in Asia will see if I can get here

17. newarrior

newarrior Peer Supporter

I have osteo in my hands and feel like life is over at age 57--also got heart valve and heart disease..I am toast...Food for maggots