1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anyone who is disabled and on social security

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by browndogisinthehouse, Apr 15, 2016.

1. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

I am just wondering if there is anyone who is disabled with tms symptoms answers to apply for disability to keep financially afloat

I don't know where to post this because I never saw people discussing financial topics. This is the number one problem for me after the pain of course.

Some of the patients have e been having symptoms for several years so I wonder how they manage the finances. Has anyone been able to successfully apply and get social security

2. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

I applied for SSDI October of 2014. They (my crappy attorney's) had told me that the process usually takes anywhere from 12-18 months. During the waiting process I was very limited in my sitting, standing, walking etc due to all of my symptoms (I couldn't even sit the whole time when meeting my attorneys and had to use a cane to get in and out). I couldn't do anything. I had multiple doctors backing me up as well as a functional exam which I couldn't perform. Despite all that, I was denied not once but twice (usually there are three rounds then you go to a judge). The reason was because the gov't said I could still use my hands and arms, but the F*&^ing as^%*les didn't understand that I couldn't even sit for an hour! I was sooooo pissed off.

Over the years I've been staying financially afloat because I sold my house and had money saved up in my accounts. I moved back in with the folks who have been supporting since my TMS came on strong in 2012. Eventually after spending tens of thousands of dollars on alternatives therapies I started draining my reserves which is why I decided I should apply for SSDI. I think I heard that young people have a hard time getting accepted too (I applied at 27 years old). All of my MRI's, X-Rays, CT scans etc were all normal except for my EMG tests. This I think is another reason SS is a bit skeptical. Usually they'll be more happier to sign off on a 55 year old with herniated discs all over etc etc. Now with the knowledge of TMS I know all of that is BS anyways.

Anyways, recently I just cancelled the whole process because I figure there is nothing wrong with my body and that I'll be back to normal in no time. I had a feeling that being on SSDI would be a mental barrier on improving my mindbody (this is just my own personal opinion and something I can afford to do in the time being). Instead what I am about to do is go to the department of rehabilitation where they find you a job which works around your physical needs. I still need more improvement in my sitting and standing before I can do whatever I want (work wise). Sounds strange to say that because I just weight trained for an hour yesterday, went boxing for a while afterwards, pulled weeds for another hour and am having a hard time typing this all out due to all the muscle soreness in my forearms (the good kind, haha :) Gonna go for a 2 mile run through the hills today too!

It's a hard question to answer for you because you know your situation best. All I know is that if you stick with this work and be patient you won't be needing to be on SSDI eventually because you'll be back to doing whatever it was you were doing before (or something new that you always wanted to do). In the meantime I recommend you check out the dept of rehab (I think it's in every state, they have it here in California). Maybe while you are in the midst of recovery from TMS you can make some money through a job (through dept of rehab) you can perform and maybe it'll even help distract you and provide you with evidence that you can perform certain tasks you thought you couldn't do before.

Phew... that turned out longer than I thought. Hope that helps!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

Thanks for your response. Please do update me with your experience with the department of rehab. When I had pelvic pain, I literally begged the disability insurance company to help me try out ergonomic aid if you're gonna make equipment so that I can go back to work. But they were more interested in proving that I can work without any rehabilitation tools. I later learnt that it may be possible that if they accept the fact that you have a disability by virtue of helping you out with another job, then at a later stage, they lose the opportunity to prove that you are disabled.

Yes, I do hope that I do not have to apply for all of this because eventually it becomes yet another headache and it is better to work then deal with them