1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have change in torso shape with disc injury that’s TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shen, Apr 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Shen

Shen Newcomer

Hi Everyone,
    Dr. Sarno’s information has helped me greatly in the past.

A couple months ago I suffered an athletic injury that caused an over-rotation of my torso. It resulted in several days of terrible pain around my iliac crest/oblique area, right lower back and right flank.

The injury also caused my right flank to literally “bulge” out. I had an ultrasound to rule out a hernia and the diagnosis was fairly severe injury to my obliques and possibly the QL muscle in my back.

Since there has been little progress resolving the pain I experience in my right flank when flexing/curling my torso, my PT now suspects disc herniation in the lower thoracic or upper lumbar vertebrae. (I’d also mention, 7 weeks after the injury my PT commented that as long as there was no pain radiating into my legs it probably wouldn’t be too serious a problem even if a disc was involved. The very next day I started having pain that radiated into my legs. Oh boy).

Has anyone here had a similar experience with actual morphological changes in the torso that ended up being TMS driven continuation of pain after a relatively extended period of healing? And if they discover a disc herniation in the appropriate area for the injury, is there a chance my pain could still be TMS (do some disc anomalies sometimes actually cause chronic pain)? Thank you!

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sarno addressed this extensively and in detail. Your body is an integrated system. Just as we learn that repressed anger in the brain can cause sciatica or arm pain, so does the Body know where your mental 'focus' is, so when it needs to create a distraction it does so CREDIBLY! For a distraction to work, you have to 'believe' it.

I think it was back in the early 2000's, some Israeli Doctors did a MRI study on people with and w/o symptoms..... found that although there was no direct correlation between herniated discs and pain, of a large control group,(hundreds) about 10% more with some herniation had a complaint... Sarno interpreted this as the body using a 'credible' i.e. document-able injury to decide where to start a distraction.

When my pain began, they eventually MRI'd me and of course found the 'disc' problem... BUT

Why did the pain go away with PT ? according to them, lifting weights should have made it worse, but it actually made it better
    Why had I NOT had pain my whole life?...(Part of it was congenital and they told me I should have been)
    Why did the pain not go away when they 'fixed' it? (surgery)
    Why did my pain subside when talking to the shrink, but get worse talking to my Mom?
    Why did it switch places mid day, from left to right even though it was only herniated to the left?

As I began to notice that stuff (in context of reading "Healing Back Pain") my symptoms went away in about a month...and since then I have played HARDER, no longer fearing any of that BS.

I had never really evaluated my experience and 'what they said' versus 'what really happened' until I had a reference against which to measure it...and I am infinitely grateful for no longer being a minion of the 'Medieval medical mythology' as Sarno called it.
    I don't know what you mean by 'flank'... I have lots of stuff that I never really closely inspected until there was a problem and then obsessively inspected it , like a physical manifestation of OCD. My knee started hurting and then I noticed it was swollen and ugly...then the pain went away, and I FINALLY noticed i have swollen and ugly knees from a lifetime of never wearing knee pads but crawling around on them doing construction work...

I have a Tumor on my stomach that is benign, but it showed up (and scared me) right after a TMS episode (gall bladder)...and it's still there 10 years later...Just like the Israeli Doctors, I have found that if I am going to get some TMS it will usually pick something that 'makes sense'....sort of

3. mbo

mbo Well known member

4. mbo

mbo Well known member

Onion-Red-1.jpg

Shen, please, peel your onion. Probably it will make you cry, it doesn't matter.... beacuse that cry is a "healing" one.

5. Shen

Shen Newcomer

Thank you for the replies.