1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

anyone experienced tooth and or gum pain? also more cavities?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jan 6, 2020.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

so almost all the time i go for a clean up i have cavities. last time i had a clean up i had around four. they say they took out the four cavities. then i went and visit a dentist because i had a hole between two tooth and i think i also had pain somewhere. dentist found 2 cavities and i was like wtf. “didn’t the dentist took out four already? “ i do eat a lot of fruits daily. could this be why? since consuming sugar could cause cavities? i also have been having pain in different areas of my mouth when eating and drinking cold stuff. Anyone experience tms pain in their teeth?

now i'm like"should i reduce my fruit consumption. should i not eat fruit everyday?" it's weird because i didn't had so many cavities before when i didn't consume many fruits.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Read “my story” because I have dealt with this. But TMS aside, too much sugar is not good for oral health.

Kittyruns likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Stress-related tooth pain as TMS, or as a result of clenching and grinding, are both very common.

But if you're getting this many cavities, I think it means that you're not brushing properly, or not flossing enough, or that you need to use a fluoride product. I was a child in the 1950s, before fluoride toothpaste was invented and made available in the U.S. I, along with my siblings, had a lot of cavities at a very young age, until our family dentist told my parents to buy the new fluoride toothpaste, Crest. That was the end of cavities in our house. Unfortunately, as I hit my forties, a lot of those old fillings had to be replaced, some with crowns - not helped by the fact that I used to clench my teeth (I trained myself out of that, thanks to TMS knowledge). Our teeth weren't designed to last all that long - not without proper daily care.

4. stevow7

hey! i get you, but it’s from natural sources.

5. stevow7

i actually fixed some stuff! i do use sensodine. yeah it’s probably tms since almost everything i eat hurts in two sides that where recently worked on. dentist told me if the pain persist in one area that have been hurting when i eat for some time now, then a crown needs to be put i freaked out about that. then she worked in another area and now i have pain in one old area and the new one she worked on. everytime i eat hard stuff, even cereal, i get pain in both sides of my mouth, and for me food is one of my greatest pleasures, but also one of my greatest obsessions and obsession is part of tms. maybe my body wants me to stop eating the same stuff everyday by creating pain? i remember forcing myself thro the pain by eating and when i brushed my teeth i started bleeding.

6. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

Why do you think that just something is natural is better? Especially in excess. Natural sugar is actually much more damaging to teeth(and not only to teeth) than artificial sweeteners.

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

I agree 100%, @Kozas. The word "natural" has become meaningless hype, hasn't it? Lots of things are natural, and deadly in excess. Hell, you can kill yourself by drinking too much water - no matter how "natural" it is - never mind the extreme danger of drinking, for example, "natural" seawater.

@stevow7 , so-called "white" sugar (from sugar cane or sugar beets) is, by definition, 100% "from natural sources", and it's not even as highly processed as a lot of so-called "natural" food products being sold to gullible consumers.

The consumer product that really cracks me up (but also makes me sad due to the financial as well as environmental waste inherent in the ridiculous proliferation of bottled water in countries with perfectly safe tap water) is "Vitamin Water". Seriously, people?

Kittyruns, plum and Kozas like this.
  8. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@stevevow7 do not get nore work done and do not listen to your dentist unless you want to spend crazy money on a crown!

I have been there - root canals would hurt, wisdom teeth would hurt, fillings would hurt and I could go on and on. Dentist visits and more dental work just made it worse! Not only I spent insane amount of money, I also almost lost my mind from all this. I took so many antibiotics for dental pain I cannot even count. They did nothing for me. Extractions did nothig for me. Cavity fillings and root canals made everything worse. If one more dentist tells me I have a cavity or that I need my wisdom tooth extracted, I won't believe them. It is a huge scam.

Unless you have fever and a real dental infection, let it go! It all proved to be TMS in my case and it keeps switching sides - left, right, upper teeth, lower teeth, wisdom teeth, root canaled teeth. At it worst, it hurts like a bad abscess with no real signs of abscess. I am still alive and well!

Please do not go the crowns/fillings/root canal route. Focus on the TMS work and drop the FEAR.

9. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@stevow7 I also had the pain while eating/chewing as well as a swollen upper palate/gums

10. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

It sounds just like my adventure with teeth pain. Did you manage to make pain better?

11. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@Kozas I was successful of getting rid of my pain but now I am dealing with symptom imperatives in other areas of my mouth. I do, however, get a lot of pain free days already.

plum likes this.
  12. stevow7

didn't know this. i read candy and all that kind of sugar is worst.

13. stevow7

i know that you can kill yourself by drinking too much water, what do you mean by "never mind the extreme danger of drinking, for example, "natural" seawater.

correct me if i'm wrong, but by this "so-called "white" sugar (from sugar cane or sugar beets) is, by definition, 100% "from natural sources", and it's not even as highly processed as a lot of so-called "natural" food products being sold to gullible consumers."

what i'm thinking is that if white sugar is 100% natural then how can it be less processed than other natural foods? i mean both are natural. atleast i'm thinking about processing them the same way since both are natural?

14. stevow7

yeah i get different pains in different areas, but the most common areas are the one that have been worked on recently. pain would come and go. dentist just told me "well it seems that if pain persist a crown must be placed" i was a bit skeptical about it because the pain wasn't that bad or wasn't there (don't remember) before the tooth was being worked on.

tbh i dont remember if i even had pain at the start. i think i started to get pain in one side. all i know it's been ups and downs with this. went from 4 cavities to recently two more cavities in a short amount of time.

15. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

It's basically the same. The thing is that fruits have all the other good stuff, while candy is just pure suger(or other not so helpful ingredients). BTW I chuckle at some people that wants everything with no-fat or with minimal fat, yet eats lot of sugar. They probably thinks that fat in food makes them fat, while it's sugar that mostly makes people fat! On the other hand sugar is a great source of energy for our bodies when we desperatly needs it -> so if someone works intense physical job, it could be beneficial for him to eat candy bar in his 5 minutes break to give his body an energy. So it's not like sugar is BAD is just nowadays we eat it much more that we need it.
    There are also some fruits that are low in sugar, like tomatoes for example. Not only they taste great, but are very healthy too.

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  16. JanAtheCPA

@stevow7, perhaps this is a language miscommunication. The point I was trying to make is to be very careful with the world "natural", because it is too easily applied to all kinds of substances that are quite natural, but not good for us to ingest. Perhaps you are looking for other words - for example, "whole foods" as opposed to "processed foods".

You said that your sugar intake was okay because it was "from natural sources". The phrase "from natural sources" only means that it wasn't developed in a laboratory by combining chemicals in a way not found in nature. White sugar is definitely "from natural sources" by that definition.

If you wanted to ingest sugar from a natural whole-food source, you could chew on sugar cane cut directly from a sugar cane field (well, maybe not, I don't think it's generally available), but you would still rot your teeth out and expose your endocrine system to sugar spikes. This is true of ALL naturally-occurring sugars, whether sucrose, glucose, or fructose, including, if eaten in excess, whole fruits. Fruit juices are invariably labeled "natural", but they are very high in sugar and calories, and low in the fiber benefits of the whole fruit, so nutritionists consider them to be bad for teeth and for blood sugar.

None of this addresses the issue of whether a naturally-occurring plant has been grown organically. That's a whole different topic.

Dorado, plum and nowa like this.
  17. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

You are SO right!!! I did almost the exact same thing. This is how crazy I let myself become. I would drive around and look in the parking lots of dentists. If there were a lot of cars there, I would think that was good and make an appointment. It was utterly harrowing. I lost 30 pounds and became depressed and some what suicidal because I thought that I would never feel "good again" or ever be pain free and back to normal. I spent two years in this state and spent well in excess of 10K dollars to try and fix my teeth. Fast forward to now, four teeth gone, a partial denture, tooth pain and jaw pain (even pain in my neck and ears on occasion) and I know its TMS. If I am having an especially bad day, I will go very easy on myself and gargle some salt water and brush with baking soda. There are times when my teeth will become sensitive or feel like there is something stuck in them. I gently dental floss and know that TMS can even be something like this. Our brains are supreme TMS distractors and they use past pain to distract us from current issues.