1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have rotating symptoms, not just one? (Symptom Imperative)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BinLA, Apr 21, 2019.

1. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Curious to hear about others experience in this regard...

Over the past 9 years, I've had a number of baseline "main" symptoms with my stress disorder. (Morning panic, rolling panic, GI issues, headaches.) The latest over the past year has been dizziness/off balance issues which have become my "baseline" state... and on my good days, I still have considerable dizziness. I just live through it and have a pretty good life. I get on with things, almost regardless of what is going on.

But, at times lately... the symptom swapping has been off the charts. Whack-a-mole. Pin the Symptom on the Human... type stuff.

It's gotten to a point that during some stretches, I can have panic... which lets up... then a headache come and go... testicle pain... and perhaps 2-3 other signinficant things in the course of a day or two.

It seems most here are dealing with one main symptom. Some talk of that changing... but slowly and perhaps to ONE new symptom over a period of months.

Just wonering if anyone else experiences these storms of regularly changing symptoms and if so, what other circumstances might be present in your life that could be contributing... how you deal with it, etc.

Thanks for any input!

2. Marls

Marls Well known member

hi BinLA, I thought I had been dealt a straight TriGem type face/head pain with loss of balance and drunken insecure walk and so plodded away with my healing, while being held prisoner to the pain/negative loop that played 24x7 in my head ( which I found worse than the pain). Ups and downs.
    A month ago I listened to an hour meditation which resonated and the loop started to give me the occasional break BUT at the cost of an enormous headache. I started to see the reasoning behind it all, but seriously “felt” like my brain realised I was on to something positive and decided to retaliate. Since then I’ve had toe stabs, itchy stuff, back spasms, indigestion, just a myriad of ever changing symptoms. And every time I add something positive wham another symptom. A few times it has struck me as ridiculously funny, this stupid-easy-to-see-through attempt to scare me. (A couple of times it has). But annoying as it is I am choosing to see it as something akin to an extinction burst. The brain knows change is on the way. Could this be where you’re at. Marls

JanAtheCPA and Ellen like this.
  3. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Hey Marls,

I have no idea how I missed this response. I really like how you described things... and I have to say, in a very odd way it almost feels like when things get "too good" for me in my life... a new symptom will come try to take me down. (It only does temporarily.) However, I have started to connect some dots as far as some of my issues with symptoms possibly being "event" driven... maybe the system "protecting" me from obligations, events, even things like vacations that carry some expectation for me to feel well and take care of things so others can enjoy themselves.

The current issue is Gastritis, but as I said before... it has come and gone over the past 8 years. So, it's the flavor of the month.... or week.

I do wonder what the brain's ultimate goal is with it all. Protection? Maybe... but it sure causes more problems than it solves.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

zclesa likes this.
  4. Eugene

Eugene Well known member

I know just what you mean. For a long time I just didn't relate these other symptoms to TMS. I thought they were just signs of ageing and stuff. Slowly, I'm realizing that these ever shifting symptoms are all TMS related. Yes, like you, I have my baseline symptoms that seem to be ever present (to a greater or lesser degree) but then these bit part players pop up and make an appearance and regular intervals.

I also reckon that stuff I had years ago was actually TMS - and that's going back years.