1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice or help from those who have or had tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NameK, Dec 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NameK

NameK Well known member

So I went to a concert on friday and I wore the orange foam earplugs but I think they might not have been in properly?(they were sticking out alittle but I couldn't hear my gf talk to me at the concert when she was right beside me. And a day or so after the concert I'm scared that the tinnitus in my right ear is worse (seems louder ). I only have it in my right ear not my left.

I noticed at the concert that nobody was wearing hearing protection as far as I could tell. I also was in the nosebleeds section 318 row 8 so it's not like I was up front etc.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

2. savasana

savasana Peer Supporter

I'm a punk rocker through and through and have been to my share of LOUD concerts, standing literally a few feet away from the amps, with no ear protection, and my hearing is just fine :p so try not to worry too much :) not that i'm advising you to do this, these days if i ever go to a concert I always wear ear protection, but I wasn't always so smart as a kid. I've also had tinnitus over the years, and much like everything else TMS, it faded. Yours will fade too.

Wear those earplugs right next time! ;)

S

3. NameK

NameK Well known member

I've had symptoms of tinnitus since early November after halloween party whe I was right by the very loud speaker for 10 seconds or so.

At the concert I wore those orange foam earplugs but I don't think they were in properly (I couldn't hear people beside me talk but they were sticking out).

But yeah your probably right its tms and i need to relax and not fear it calm down and not think about it. Although its hard for me since in quiet areas its noticeable and I get scared or stressed when I hear it. Sometimes I even purposely go into a quiet room to hear for it I don't know why.

4. savasana

savasana Peer Supporter

It will definitely fade in the next few days, but like anything else TMS related, you need to just let it go and not focus on it. You'll be fine!

candysworld likes this.
  5. NameK

NameK Well known member

For the record I do have earwax build up in my ears and that could potentially be causing it. I need to get my ears flushed but I've been too afraid due to reading about it online on dr. Google. But I shouldn't be as it's a normal procudure that people do every day and they dont have tinnitus or people that do it doesnt make it worse it's more likely anxiety that causes this.

Yes your right ironically on Saturday my friends dog thats very big (ridgeback) jumped up when I was seated and stepped on my balls it hurt pretty bad and ever since my pelvic pain symptoms have crept back but I know those are TMS. I dont know why tinnitus is more difficult I guess because part of me doesnt believe it is tms but I know it is.

6. twirlybird

twirlybird New Member

Hi NameK. I'm a happy owner of tinnitus since eleven years ago. I was devastated in the early days but eventually, the brain will forget and zone out from it. Pretty much like TMS overall. Don't worry about it, it's a very common occurrence amongst people. The less attention you give it, the faster it will cease to be an issue.

If you wore plugs and couldn't hear your girlfriend speaking there's zero chance you did any damage to your hearing.

candysworld likes this.
  7. candysworld

candysworld New Member

If ringing persists then I suggest going to audiologist. Hearing loss due to nerve damage can be serious, if the scilia are damaged.

8. NameK

NameK Well known member

I've had it for just over a month now I saw a doctor and they said I have wax build up (its blocking my right ear canal the one with ringing ) so that might be the cause?. Also I cant get my hearing tested etc until I get the wax cleared.

Problem is I was reading about it online and now I scared to get it done because it made some peoples worse. Also I haven't been consistant with putting the olive oil in twice a day for atleast 3 to 5 days.

9. NameK

NameK Well known member

Also if you havent already look up julian cowan tinnitus on YouTube. He had it for 20 years and is doesn't have it. He even got rid of noise induced tinnitus. His approach is very similar to tms in that our anxiety stress emotions are causing it not any damage.

10. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

This is exactly what you should be focusing on. I'm so glad you found this information. Bud, you've told us a lot about your history, and it's quite evident that this is all mind-body/TMS. You're going to be OK. I definitely believe in you.

11. NameK

NameK Well known member

Thanks man I know I believe it is I just have doubt sometimes I shouldn't have ever been on those fourms that's whats made this more difficult for ne to overcome. Especially the whole I've had this for 10 years it doesnt go away people it really scared me but I have realized it's a minority of people that are like that and it's for almost every tms symptom condition.

For example I had pelvic pain and apprently there is no cure but yet I don't have anymore symptoms of it as far as I can tel it was all just stress anxiety combined with fourms od despair and hopelessness that made it linger on for longer then it should. Tinnitus should be no different even if its "noise induced "

12. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

SHOULD SAY:
    Remember the examples I gave you, such as me going on antidepressant withdrawal forums while I was experiencing it. Tons of people saying the symptoms were permanent, especially when you taper too quickly/basically go cold turkey like I was forced to (since I couldn't genetically process the medication). Tons of horror stories, even some major lawsuits against the pharmaceutical company over lives being destroyed. The symptoms literally began fading away once I started having fun in life again. These online health forums do nothing but scare people like us, who have mind-body symptoms. You're better off without those forums. It's the same thing that happened to you when you thought you had been poisoned by antibiotics - we know you weren't, because you could go an entire week without any symptoms when you weren't stressed out.

You have all the answers - it's all about managing your anxiety. You have to start learning how to deal with uncertainty, and learning how to become certain in your health and safety. I know a mid-50s dude who got AIDS in the 1980s and is still alive (there are some out there), but he's frequently dealing with health complications (people with long-term HIV infections are far more likely to get cancers and organ damage earlier in life). He's in and out of the hospital multiple times a year. And honestly, he has a pretty positive attitude toward life. He can't even drink alcohol anymore, but when things are good for him, I see him going out and having fun. If he can deal with that and not worry the way we do on these health forums, we can learn how to manage health anxiety, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2019
  13. NameK

NameK Well known member

Yeah I just scared that going to that concert could have made it worse but its probably my anxiety and fear around that event thats causing it to be perceived as louder I still only hear it in quiet rooms it's not like I hear it over everything.

And if it's really a mindbody issue how come people that habituate to it (stop fearing it ) still hear it ?

14. angieszen

angieszen New Member

I have had tinnitus for about 10 years. I do not have hearing loss, just constant ringing. When I am exposed to loud noises gets worse but eventually returns to where it was. Stress can also increase the sound level. Sometimes it still gets me down but, not unlike my chronic pain, I have to catch myself from getting into the loop of despair. When I first dealt with it I was very upset and panicked. I saw a hypnotist for a few months and that really helped. He would tape our sessions and then I would listen to the recording every night before I went to sleep. It is truly mind over matter. Also good to invest in a sound machine or fan. Hang in there. It will get better.

twirlybird likes this.
  15. NameK

NameK Well known member

How long would you say it takes for it to go back down to your previous level? It's almost been a week so far. Also I have a hockey game coming up this Saturday for mycworks xmas party and I might skip it for fear of making it worse.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  16. manny8888

manny8888 New Member

I have had Tinnitus ever since I can remember. The every day noise just covers it up for me but if I sit inside a parked car with the doors shut the silence truly is deafening. A high pitched noise drowns me out. Since it happens in both the ears I kind of find it therapeutic to sit and listen to the ringing for a few minutes everyday as I reach home. For what makes it less, just accepting this condition and meditating in a quiet place makes it go down for me. Stress definitely increases it. I was recently in the mountains and it was pretty silent - no tinnitus. Otherwise, just embrace it for the time being. My logic is that by embracing it you sort of ignore it and it reduces. Do not give it a deadline to disappear and keep checking. Hope this helps. Also, do go for the checkups as others have suggested if you must. However, a concert with a foam ear plug is highly unlikely to bring on lasting damage. Hope you feel better.

17. NameK

NameK Well known member

Thanks I've been doing better the past few days. Mine is only in my right ear and I can only hear it in super quiet areas or rooms. I've read a decent amount about it and it seems that tinnitus is really related to our stress levels and fear around it.

Alot of people I've talked to that there went away or is dimishing said that once they let go of the fear around it and start to ignore it. It reduced in volume and eventually went away completely. It takes time and it's a different timeline for everyone.

I am starting to think tinnitus is very much tms now as it behaves every similar to other tms symptoms.

Like we know tinnitus has nothing to really do with the ear its something with our brains. And if it can show up one day . Why cant it just disappear as well?

candysworld likes this.
  18. candysworld

candysworld New Member

Tinnitus has mystified me.
    I developed it after an auto collision in 2011. My airbag exploded and it was really loud. Since then, I have had constant ringing in my right ear, as well as pulsatile tinnitus, (which is a throbbing as in hearing your pulse). Plus some hearing loss in my right ear. I've gone to an ENT, audiologist and neurologist. Pulsatile tinnitus has to do with blood flow in the brain, not ear-related. Doctors can't see tinnitus on an x-ray or MRI. It's totally subjective. But, I'm really on the fence as to whether it's TMS or due to the auto collision. I sustained other injuries which I healed from, but not the hearing & 2-types of tinnitus.

19. NameK

NameK Well known member

While I am not a doctor and cant give you medical advice so take what i say with a grain of salt.

There are tons of people who are in car accidents that end up in chronic pain after.

It's because our bodies associate our injuries with the car accident. So it acts as a pshyical cause which reinforces the fear and anxiety around it.

I actually had this happen with my lower back. I took a fall on my tailbone back in February and after that I had lower back pain for 9 months or so.

And it's gone now because I stopped fearing that it was the cause and really it was my anxiety tightening the muscles stress was also a factor.

Another good example is my girlfriend and her best friend were in the same car accident (they got rear ended by an SUV at 70km) my girlfriend? She was fine after 3 to 4 months.

Her friend still in pain almost 3 years later ?

Another thing is as we all get older we all lose out hearing whether we like it or not and lots of people with hearing loss dont have tinnitus.

So if the doctors couldn't find any pshyical reason to it. It could be tms I know it's hard to tell if its tms or not.