1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anxiety Symptom imperative

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Benny562562, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Benny562562

Benny562562 Peer Supporter

early on in tms treatment and back pain has subsided some,but now anxiety has come on big time. Since anxiety is a tms symptom, do I think psychologically when I get anxiety? I've had success thinking psychologically for the back pain,i was actually able to diminish the pain,but no success yet for anxiety

balto likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

A good question, I'd say say not to think psychologically about the anxiety, but learn to be mindful, be aware of the anxiety and not judge it. The more often you do this the more space that will exist between you and the anxiety.

Benny562562 likes this.
  3. Benny562562

Anxiety and now feel depression. I'm a little confused. I thought anxiety and depression are Tms symptoms so we think psychologically?

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Benny, I like Mike's advice but I also think we can spend too much time thinking about anxiety and depression and it becomes hard to lift our spirits.
    Try to spend more time on distractions that give you pleasure such as activities or music, reading, watching funny movies on tv.

And try to live more in the present (mindfullness). Mindfulness meditation is very calming. I found some good videos on Youtube.
    My favorite is Michael Sealey's "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking." His voice is very soothing as he leads us through mindfulness while breathing in the present moment.

Benny562562 likes this.
  5. Benny562562

Thank u for the advice.. Still seem a little unsure since dr sarno talks about this in this page. He says to apply same principle to new location of symptom imperative,but I know mindfulness is also Important. image.jpeg

6. mike2014

Hi Benny, he discusses the brain being able to set up countless physical manifestations as a distraction from emotions. Feelings such as anxiety, depressions etc may well cause TMS or be the direct result of living in constant FOF, but I personally don't think you can heal from these by just thinking psychologically. Perhaps therapy, using mindfulness techniques, or working through Howard Schubiner's tailored program to overcome depression would work better.

I would be keen to know anyone else's thoughts / opinions. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Benny562562 likes this.
  7. Benny562562

A few people on here told me to think psychologically,but what u said does make sense.maybe someone else has thoughts on this? I just did the mindfulness meditation that Walt suggested. Gona contnue doing it

8. mike2014

Yes mindfulness meditation is very important, but that also extends to being mindful in your day. If you are living mindfully, you have the ability to break the anxiety or depression at a conscious level. The more often you do this, the greater space there is between you and that particular feeling and the less you will react or be overwhelmed by it.

Benny562562 likes this.
  9. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno said the symptoms is there to distract you from whatever terrible emotions deep down inside you. It doesn't want you to focus on those emotions. To distract you it has to somehow grabs your attention, how do it does that? A lady grab your attention by her beauty, a musician with his beautiful music, Star war movie with it's special effect.... tms/anxiety using FEAR to grab your attention. ALL mind body syndromes has one thing in common, FEAR. The only way it is able to distract you is by using FEAR. If you understand that, if you some how able to say Fu_k it, if you somehow able to NOT pay it any attention, it will just slowly disappear. That is thinking psychologically.
    Being mindfulness is being mindful at the task at hand. When you eat mindfully you know you are eating. You know the taste, the texture, the temperature, the smell... of the food. How you chew it, how you hold your folk & spoon, how you enjoy it..... everything else can wait. When you talk to someone you pay attention at what she is saying, how she moves her lips, what facial expression she has, her hand movement, her story, think about what she is saying, really really got involve with the conversation, that is mindfulness. Simple concept but no one do it. Our mind jump to hundred of different places in second, and most of those places are negatives.
    Try to live in the moment, try to think of one thing at a time. Give tms/anxiety worry just 15 minutes a day and no more.
    Being mindful will help greatly if you persistent with it. But eventually, you have to find a way to stop your fear of your symptoms. You have to.
    You will get there Benny. You will.

silentflutes and Benny562562 like this.
  10. Benny562562

Thank u balto,U always give such good advice. I will give anxiety less attention from now on and practice being more mindful :)