1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anxiety about a prescription

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NameK, Feb 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NameK

NameK Well known member

So I I may have an ear infection / inflammation in my left ear as its painful and has been since I got my earwax flushed on Sunday.

The doctor prescribed me sofracort an antibotic steroid for 10 days. I took it twice on Tuesday and once on Wednesday.

I stopped on Wednesday because I read an article on how that class of antibiotics can cause oxotoxicy (typically only when the ear drum is performed) (hearing loss, balance issues, vision issues) and even kidney problems. There is also a fda black box warning on it but I'm pretty sure it's more to do with iv administration and oral pills.

Also apprently the adverse effects can apprently be permanent

My ear pain got worse so I saw a doctor again and it's the only option unfortunately as ciprodex is out of the question I'm allergic to it.

So ever since I've been incredibly anxious about it and I hope it works against the inflammation and potential infection. I'm so worried about using this medication but it's the only option

The antibiotics are framyctin gramicidin which is basically (neomycin and polyxmin b) with a corticosteroid called dexamethasone.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

I had one a few weeks ago after feeling vertigo coming on. They gave me the spray and it worked just fine.

4. NameK

NameK Well known member

Thanks I know its just my fear and anxiety surrounding it because my tinnitus in my right ear has been slightly louder the past few days (I did use the drops in that ear only 3 times as told by the doctor) when she did a check up a few days ago they said the right ear inflammation was gone and wasn't needed in that war just the left side (which hurts still ) but I think the medication is working

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe that the best healing and recovery from injury and illness occur when we are constructively inclined to believe in the efficacy of any medication that we need to take.

The opposite of this is that it's possible we could counteract the efficacy of medication by flooding our bodies with stress hormones. Do not go there!

Look - the mind-body connection is a two-way street. We are all here on this forum because we believe that our minds can work against us to produce negative symptoms, right? So why not believe the other way around? There's no reason to reject the idea that we can also use our minds to produce positive results - results beyond the cessation of TMS symptoms.

When we want to accomplish a task, we generally use tools.
    Medication is a tool.

Tools work best when we learn how they work, and when we visualize how we will work with the tool to accomplish the task.
    Medication can work better when we visualize how it will help us to heal and recover, instead of fighting the medication with fear and loathing.

Could this possibly explain why the existence of side effects is so often not universal among users of so many medications? Hmmm.... almost impossible to study, but I choose to believe it. I've got a close friend who is on some pretty serious meds for a couple of life-threatening conditions, but who says he has no symptoms and no side effects, and seems to be going about his very active life with few signs of slowing down at age 66. He's a firm believer in understanding his medications and what they are supposed to do; he looked at the possible side effects, and decided that "possible" meant that he didn't have to have them.

In any case, I fully believe that having faith in this process is the first step towards true self-healing.