1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anticipation TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by TheWayBackUp, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TheWayBackUp

TheWayBackUp Peer Supporter

I finished the SEP program a couple of weeks ago. At the end of that time, my pain had generally decreased, although I got some new pain in new spots, but it was still less painful than I was dealing with before the program. I have been doing some journaling even after stopping the program. After I finished the program I felt really good for about a week, and now I'm back in a lot more pain again. However, I also have a vacation coming up, which is great, except for the fact that I seem to have pain relapses right before vacation. My big problem is my ankle and it feels scary that more walking might be demanded of me while traveling. Also, when away from my usual routine, sleeping disrupted etc. I think I lack confidence that I will be able to manage my needs.

So, noticing these patterns, I am telling myself it's TMS, but I am not getting much relief. Now I'm trying to just relax my body as much as I can and not let myself worry about pain/my trip. I'm remembering it usually resolves once I'm actually away so I am thinking of that. I just wish I could get rid of it now (we leave tomorrow).

Wondering if anyone else relates to increased pain with an event or trip coming up.

frenchgazelle likes this.
  2. BCS

BCS Newcomer

I have experienced similar TMS issues surrounding vacations. Most recently I traveled with my 6 month old son for the first time via plane. I have always hated flying and stress out even thinking about it. It has always been bad for just me but with him, the anxiety level was at an all time high. Everything went well and I got through it but 3 days into the trip my lower back pain came on just like it had a few times in the past. Its weird, when this happens, the pain comes on a few days later. Like clockwork, I was in excruciating pain for the last two days of the trip. It is so frustrating to me that I cannot control my TMS, especially in situations like this. Between the travel and wanting everything to go well on the vacation its a perfect storm for me.

3. srton

srton Well known member

@TheWayBackUp Vacations are super stressful and the change in location coupled with the high expectations sets me up for pain, too. Something that was helpful to me on my last vacation in August was checking in with myself constantly and trying to be without judgement about it. For example, in the morning I'd be having my coffee looking at the ocean and do some somatic tracking and realize that I was nervous or sad and try to just sit with it. I thought to myself "It's ok to be sad/nervous here in paradise. Having feelings doesn't make me ungrateful it makes me human." This seemed to help with my pain.

@BCS I always set up high expectations and want everything to go well -- on vacation and also in life generally. It seems to be a TMS personality thing!!

I hope you have a wonderful vacation and that you're able to treat yourself with some major self love and compassion while you're away.