1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anger

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by M, Jul 19, 2013.

1. M

M New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm now doing pretty well in my recover. One of the more recent things I have done is the presence process. I would say that allot of my anger is there now and not so hidden. Occasionally I try and (when by myself!) express the rage (when I feel it) much like a child would and throw a tantrum and shake and tense my body ala the hulk! Do you think it's a good idea to really do that? to try and really express the rage? OR to kinda just accept the anger.. love it even?

many thanks!

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Eric)- Hi Matt glad your doing pretty well in your recovery, that's a great sign that your in the right direction
    im going to break down some questions for you ok, then all of us here at the board can jump in and give some great advice

Matt) - I'm now doing pretty well in my recovery. One of the more recent things I have done is the presence process.

Eric)- Matt could you tell me some more about the Presence Process by Michael brown, I gather its about mindfulness and awareness -something like
    like Eckhart Tolle- Do you have a step by step style that fits you?, it would be interesting to know- we've been talking a lot about mindfulness here lately
    there are many great post if you'd like I can look them up for ya, no problem.

Matt)- I would say that allot of my anger is there now and not so hidden.

Eric)- That's great that you have been able to pull the anger to surface, its a great skill in learning how to release repression
    I've Journaled mine out at times and other times id exercise to let off steam, of course if your not ready for exercise other skills that you now do like mindfulness and awareness are awesome.

Matt)- Occasionally I try and (when by myself!) express the rage (when I feel it) much like a child would and throw a tantrum and shake and tense my body ala the hulk! Do you think it's a good idea to really do that? to try and really express the rage? OR to kind of just accept the anger.. love it even?

Eric)- Yes its a great idea Matt to let that anger out when by yourself, it can be very emotional at times and release a lot of built up anxiety
    I often use acceptance in the form that I look at the situation or past experience and reframe or change the meaning that id
    originally had associated to the memory- if its a feeling and I have no memory of what's causing the tension ill often use
    Claire Weekes facing , floating and accepting advice, its worked well for me in the past and others here at the board.
    here is a favorite post of mine that talks about Claire's program- http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/remembering-the-mantras.43/#post-144
    Recently I've started doing Peter Levine's Somatic Experiencing which is a powerful tool in understanding
    how to release tension and stress or strain, here's an awesome thread forest put up so we here at Tmswiki can understand more about it http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/po...somatic-experiencing-threads.2294/#post-12589
    Alan Gordon's program here at Tmswiki is another awesome tool that really brings lots of these formulas together, you can go to it under
    the general forum here or the url is http://tmswiki.org/forum/forums/alan-gordon-tms-recovery-program.31/
    its helped lots of us already Matt and I really think youll find your questions all over his program.

I know I've given you lots to look at and if you just pick one and learn from it im sure youll be able to get lots of questions answered

were proud to have you here Matt and if anything pops up- let us know , were a close family here and we got cha covered
    god bless

3. M

M New Member

Thanks Eric,

I really appreciate your post.

Yeah the presence process is essentially a 10 week course where you do a breathing meditation combined with a mantra twice a day while reading the book. The idea is when emotions come up you try to integrate them. If for instance I got angry at something or emotionally responded in some way then the process it to remove the characters in that situation but focus and be present with the underlying felt perception/ emotion of it. As it's likely to have an undercurrent of repressed/ un-integrated emotion from the past. It's essentially along those lines.

It's not the most pleasant of meditations and afterwards I've gone back to tm which is much more pleasant for me! (I've been practicing tm for about 14 months)..

I think Eckhart Tolle is great too... ultimately everything about tms one way or another is in Sarnos books or Eckharts!

I try and be mindful when working, if I find I'm getting stressed I try and become more present which is very helpful.. though not allays easy!

It's amazing how oblivious I was to my anger before getting my original symptoms!

Journalling is interesting I quite like what Monte has to say about Rsi. Personally I don't think I have a specific deep rooted trauma as such. More of an ongoing continuous tension that's constantly added too in the way I treat myself. I realise how I essentially don't allow myself to be happy. My thought process's are hyper critical. For instance 'if I get this job then our be happy' I try now to just allow myself to be happy and to stop putting conditions on it. I'm trying to identify with Eckhart Tolles work allot more too.. Seeing that the painbody/ Unintegrated emotion isn't as such me as I am the presence behind it! I can certainly see/ feel this body of emotion as something ELSE through ... however when things get stressed it's easy to get caught up in it.

getting some where anyway!

thanks for the links I will check them all out!

Matt

Stock Trader likes this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

that's awesome matt, you really are going in the right direction
    yea check out the links and if anything pops up just ask
    thanks for the video of Eckhart tolle, he is awesome in his teachings
    have a great day