1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

America's Best Doctors: John E. Sarno

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Forbe's recently published a great article on Dr. Sarno at http://www.forbes.com/sites/edwards...doctor-and-his-miracle-cures-dr-john-e-sarno/ .

It was written by a person who saw Sarno in the early 90s and has been pain free ever since. There was a really interesting line about how gastrointestinal conditions are becoming "in vogue" and a TMS symptom that more and more people are starting to experience. I also saw some comments on the article from some familiar faces :cool:

veronica73 likes this.
  2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I logged in here this morning to post this, but I see you already did, Forest. Great minds think alike :)

JanAtheCPA and Becca like this.
  3. Lori

Lori Well known member

Excellent; thanks for posting.

4. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

John Sarno, MD: America's Best Doctor

That sounds about right.

:)

-Peter

5. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

Wow, incredible article. Thanks Forest!

6. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Great article - thanks Forest!

7. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Thanks for posting!! What do you think? Should I add to the TMS in the Media page on the Wiki?

8. Forest

Yeah go for it! It would make a great addition to the page.

9. Explorer

Wow impressive Enrigue! I so want to get back into running! I have a good bit of work to do in order to get the courage. The good news is - I AM HEALING.

Susan

Enrique likes this.
  10. Enrique

Thanks! Good for you that you're getting better. I eased back into running and little by little my courage and belief grew.

11. Explorer

Enrique - thanks. I joined the gym today (it's cold not in PA), and I'll start with walks around the inside track and some time on the stepper. I am worried the pain may increase but believe exercise and postive thinking are the key ingredients for healing.

Thanks again for being a great role model for the entire wiki.

Susan

Enrique likes this.
  12. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Susan, congratulations on joining the gym. I think about it but haven't quite worked up to it. Good luck!

13. Explorer

Thanks Terry:

We'll see how it works out next week. I am going to be careful not to over due it. But I am excited to get back to it. They've remodeled the gym and there are so many different machines and classes I can take. That said I am starting with 15 minutes of walking and 15 more on the stepper.

Also, I am finally gaining some weight back which is a relief. So working out won't worry me.

Susan

14. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hey Susan, I've gained some weight since starting the SEP program, I had gotten a bit too thin too. I'm finding each time I increase physical activity a bit (and I'm fairly cautious) I have a flare up. Each time when it settles down it is very exhilarating, and I can increase a little bit more. But even so, the flare ups can be a bit scary. But even with pain, I am SO excited to be getting my fitness back.

15. Forest

Increasing your activity like that is great to hear. One thing I have found is that whenever you do a new activity there is always a tendency to have a flare-up. But, as you have realized, if you think psychologically and don't focus on the symptom, is will settle down quickly. When I first started working on the computer again, I would still develop symptoms from time to time, however the more I worked the quicker the symptoms faded away. It is amazing what can happen when you have confidence in yourself.

16. Explorer

Terry, Forest:

As mentioned, I joined the gym and I am simply putting in half an hour of cardio. It feels great to be back there. Saturday it didn't go too well, I left crying, then Sunday I went for a walk and hike and the last two days did the gym again. And......... today I have a flare up. It's hard not to get depressed about it. I am so tired and in pain.

Trying to be in the moment,
    Susan

17. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Susan,

I'm with Forest, flare ups are downright scary. I've found the outcome independence idea the most helpful. Even though my sciatica isn't keeping me from exercise now, I'm really struggling with other weird symptoms that I've never had before , like headache, a tickle in my throat that won't go away and is very disruptive at work, a weird hollow cold feeling in my bones, sleep problems-- all pretty classic symptom imperative stuff, but so depressing. Occasionally I get the thought that I was better off just having sciatica! It's working too, I notice I've slacked off lately with my TMS work. Time to get back to it. Hang in there, lots of people have had bad flare ups and eventually were pain free.

18. Explorer

Hi Terry:

Glad to hear you are still exercising even with the new symptoms. Today I am taking a day off from exercise because I think I was pushing too hard without a break in between. That all or nothing attitude. I also saw there is a Tai Chi class on Tuesday and Thursday at my gym that would mix things up a bit for me.

The other symptom I am getting is fatigue. I think my body is settling down from the intense anxiety I had for months which is helping my body, but making it hard to think about anything but taking a nap :).

I want to get back into the journaling but in a different way. I think I need to write the same affirmation over and over to get them into my unconsious mind. I've journaled so much about my past and pain and guilt, that I don't have much more to squeeze out. I know the pain is emotional and why it happened and that there is nothing physically wrong with me, I just want to get back to my life, having fun and enjoying myself. I don't know if that makes sense or if I am moving in the wrong direction but it feels right to me.

Today I feel much better so far and will attend a charity event tonight for the homeless. My intent is not to worry about the pain and just have fun.

Thanks for posting back!

Susan

Enrique likes this.
  19. Enrique

I like what you said about just having fun.