1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Amazing man

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Trent

Trent New Member

I have the same story as a lot of you. Had surgery on L-4/L-5 when I was 19. Many injections, physical therapy sessions, countless Percocet and Vicodin prescriptions, stretches, good and bad days. I'm 30 now and for the most part, the last 11 years have been ruined by pain. No sports, limited gym time, anger and bad moods due to pain. I had about 9 good months and thought it was finally over after losing some weight and strengthening my core a lot in 2012. Then some time this fall it took a nose dive. That meant more pills, more heating pad, more anger, just sick and tired of it all.

I got up Wednesday morning to go to work. After my wife helped me get my socks on I quickly fell back on to my bed and knew I wouldn't be going anywhere this day. I decided I would go to the doctor once again for at the very least some pain medication to help get through yet another set back. After about an hour of my tens unit and heating pad I decided that the ride to the doc wasn't worth it as the pain while driving was too much.

I remembered the book "healing back pain" that I bought 2 months back (funny story is I have two copies because I bought it 2 years ago when hearing Howard Stern talk about it on the radio for saving is life, both of which were tossed in a book case and never opened).

I read 90 pages in 5 hours. It took that long to notice a change. I finished it in 24 hours and called my parents and told them I think I found a miracle. I could not believe I was already feeling better. It's not 3 days later and I was at the gym today doing a power hour gym class at high intensity. I had a little pain but I talked it right out of my system and pretty much told my subconscious to take a hike.

This was exciting enough, but what happened next will change my thoughts about Dr. Sarno forever.

I emailed his old email address from his medical office in hopes of a little more info on what had happened to me and some insight on what I should do next (read the next book, read the latest book, take it slow, etc.) I received an email instantly with auto response stating that Dr. Sarno had retired in April and I could make an appointment with another doctor in the office if need be. This was disappointing but it was worth a shot. The next day (today) I went to a meeting with a client and I left my phone in my truck by accident. When I returned to my truck I had a missed call and voicemail, it was Dr. Sarno. I called him back with so much excitement that I didn't even know what to say to him. He was extremely nice, sounded just like he does on any talk show or his books. He answered all my questions and only asked one thing of me when I thanked him and that was to be a missionary and pass this on to everyone.

What a great guy. He deserves to be held so much higher in this country and the world for that matter.

Ps: he told me to read the 3rd book followed by his last one and when I asked why he retired he said "I'm lazy now" :)

gailnyc, Jilly and veronica73 like this.
  2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Great post, Trent!

Glad you are feeling better. A personal call from Dr. Sarno--wow! I think I would be totally star-struck :)

Jilly likes this.
  3. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

:) Your'e on the way to healing ! WOW !

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

He really is. He has revolutionized medicine and cares so much about his patients.

How are things coming along, Trent?

5. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Wow...and double wow!!! What an incredible story! Welcome to the forum. :)

Trent likes this.
  6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Amazing, Trent, you are having a classic "Book Cure" after reading Dr. Sarno. Great to know they do actually occur! And welcome to the forum. ;)

Trent likes this.
  7. Trent

Trent New Member

Thanks for asking Forest. I had an amazing first 4 days and was telling everyone I knew and loved about how this is changing my life. I have had some set backs. Most of which are happening in the morning for the first couple hours then going away almost completely as the day gets going. I never had issues in the AM like this, if anything the morning was the best as I rested all night. I can't put my thumb on it. Most of my pain was lower back pain and now the mornings are all pain shooting down my leg and in my sciatica but I still force myself to the gym and work through the pain and try to tell myself it is not real. I received "MindBody Prescription" and "Divided mind" this weekend so I am going to get reading because now that I have had a taste of what this can do, I will not give up on making it work. I am hoping those first few days happened to show me what this can and will do.

honeybear424 likes this.
  8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you read about the symptom imperative yet? Sounds like that is what is happening now. Essentially, your unconscious is trying to create new and different symptoms to pull your attention back to your pain. Keep reading and the symptoms will begin to fade away.