1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Almost free, but still some pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IvanSO, May 26, 2016.

1. IvanSO

IvanSO New Member

Hi everybody,
    I am new here. Quick intro - I'm 29, have had some back and neck pain since mid teens and lots of other things that I now believe are TMS manifestations (stomach problems, asthma, bad acne, hay fever).

About 2 months ago my lower back began causing the worst pain I have ever experienced. It started mild, I've continued to work out ("carefully, I have slipped discs, wood"), but as I was afraid to move "the wrong way", it got worse and worse, turning into severe sciatica. Eventually I was not able to sit, walk normally, or even sleep... Nothing really helped except some IV therapy. Then I've read Dr Sarno's Healing Back Pain and in three days was able to finally sleep on my stomach - just as I like!

Long story short, I've done a lot of thinking about potential emotions that I repress and there is a lot of stuff. I cope very well and have been a non-confrontational, perfectionistic, calm (but at times explosive) and secretive (I called it independent) person. Now I know the price of this. But I've got better pretty quickly. Almost there, almost pain free!

However, I have a bad cold for over 10 days now and coughing causes sharp, stabbing pain in lower back. I understand that it's just conditioning and I remind myself that it's just a mild oxygen deprivation and don't have any fear (conscious at least). With other, more continuing symptoms, like leg pain, I have just let it be there, not paying much attention and it eventually disappeared after a few days.

How have you dealt with these last manifestations that just won't give up?
    Any strategies you could recommend for conditioned sharp pain?

My guess is that I just pay too much attention to this, but then again, it's hard not to because it's like an automatic fast realization "ok, I'm about to cough and check lower back."

Thank you so much!

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Congrats on the healing you've experienced so far, Ivan!
    Yes, it's quite common for TMS to manifest itself in a myriad of ways. The subC tends to be nothing if not creative!
    Hang in there and keep doing what you've been successful with. Have you tried the SEP? It directs you to a lot of success stories and other TMS resources, as well as giving you food for thought.
    Wishing you continued success!

3. IvanSO

IvanSO New Member

Gigi, thank you!
    I have looked at the SEP, but it recommended first doing the Recovery Program, which I have done. After that I came across Steve Ozanich's book and am still reading - it's quite long:) Will start the SEP - I've already been doing some journaling, but I think having some structure would help further.

4. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I did the SEP. Where can I find the Recovery Program. Can you send me a link?

5. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

6. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

You have done very well so far! The approach to symptoms is always the same, even though your mind tries to trick you into thinking this time its something more serious, it is not.