1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

all the rage ... or just a little bit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Sep 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mbo

mbo Well known member

According to the great Dr. Sarno, in order to overcome TMS (pain and so on) it is necessary to recognize and acknowledge huge amounts of rage/anger repressed inside us as a result of vital experiences and situations.
    My question: is enought to feel just a fraction of that rage (easier because is not much scary) or you have to be courageos to become fully aware of ALL THE RAGE, of such huge, massive, wild, terrifying, nasty, dangerous, unbearable, frightening,.... emotion.
    I suspect to accept just a «civilizated» portion of our repressed, hidden, unconscious anger is not enought....
    and the pain persists.

Comments welcomed. Thanks.

2. Jude

Jude Peer Supporter

Hi MBO,

I had an experience some years ago when I had appendix like symptoms and tests showed nothing. And one day I said to myself, "Okay! I admit it! I really am angry at X!!" Immediately the symptoms disappeared, never to return. What was remarkable was that I didn't have to feel the rage; I just had to admit it existed. Because the issue was that anger at X was not an acceptable emotion in my universe. Once I accepted it, there was no need for TMS.

That said, I have had other TMS symptoms that have required me to go into emotions in depth, and feel them. Only through feeling them can they dissolve. But that doesn't mean getting into an out-of-control rage. I think one thing that is scary about rage is that we imagine it is all those things you say--unbearable, dangerous, etc--but when we actually let the feelings in, they turn out to be less unbearable than we imagined. So TMS is protecting us from feeling something because our brain thinks it is worse than it actually is. We have the power to disarm the rage.

Certainly get where you're coming from!! Hope this helps.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Perfect explanation from @Jude.

@mbo, I just wrote about the "discovery" process in detail in another post, and got some good feedback (along with awesome contributions from @Baseball65 and @LaineyVeganseed as well), so I'm going to recommend the thread: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/does-anyone-feel-like-this-too.21684/#post-112089 (Day 9 - Does anyone feel like this too?)

I also recommend @Nicole J. Sachs LCSW , particularly her podcast The Cure For Chronic Pain With Nicole Sachs LCSW for her great discussions on journaling and really getting to the core of the repressed emotions.[/USER]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. mbo

mbo Well known member

great J.nude

5. Jude

Jude Peer Supporter

that's a new one LOL

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. mbo

mbo Well known member

sorry about my crazy keyboard!

Thanks Jude and JanAtheCPA !!!