1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alaska Photos

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Lily Rose, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Kachamack Bay, Homer Alaska
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hundreds of Eagles come late Winter early Spring
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moose always hung out in our yard.
    [​IMG]

Eagle in our backyard .... s/he stole the stick our dogs were chasing. We weren't able to capture that on camera, but it was quite shocking. The dogs just stared.
    [​IMG]

Everyone should experience Alaska ... it is truly a grand and mystical experience.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

Gigalos, plum and Mermaid like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, those are stunning. It's great to see the eagle population rebounding, and interesting to see eagles just hanging around being birds instead of in a very dramatic pose.

plum and Lily Rose like this.
  3. Lily Rose

Along Homer's Spit, during that time of year, the Eagles stand along side the road in a long line, like sentinels. It is quite extraordinary. As you drive along past them, you realize just how big they are. Their eyes are very piercing when they look at you.

Alaska is not for the person who cannot self-entertain. Self reliance is necessary. I strongly believe that everyone should get the chance to experience, though. There are those that say "I found myself when I was in Paris." Well, I don't know about Paris. I do know those seven, life altering years in Alaska opened my heart in ways that I am still discovering.

^_^

plum and Forest like this.
  4. nancy

nancy Well known member

Oh the pictures are so gorgeous. I have always wanted to see Alaska! The moose, the eagles,
    a land of full beauty. I will get there. Thanks for lightening up my evening.

5. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Lily Rose, your photos are wonderful. Thanks for giving us this glimpse of beauty. There is nothing like nature to feed the soul.

6. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Lily Rose! Thank you so much for those photos. They made my heart ache to see such beauty again. I lived up in the Anchorage and Kodiak area for 5 years and it helped form my value system of knowing what my place, as a human, is in the grand scheme of things. I think Alaska teaches humility through its weather, through the long days of darkness and the natural isolation that comes from living up there. I loved the feeling of safety - that you could and had to depend upon strangers for help and that it was expected to give when needed. Sigh…. Ahhhhh LaaaaasssskkkkkkkAAAAAA

plum, Ellen and Lily Rose like this.
  7. Lily Rose

You said it perfectly. Everyone should experience Alaska. Not just for a week, or two, or even just a summer, but the entire year or more. It seeps into your soul and creates a form of awakening, as you said, to a deeper value system.

One day, we were driving north up towards Nikiski with my husband's mother (going home), and I said, oh, look, Mt. Spur is showing off. His mom peered through the windshield (I always gave her the front seat with him) and said, where? I don't see it? There was a layer of clouds at the half way mark, and she was only looking straight ahead. I told her gently -- lift your eyes. She did, and had to re-adjust her perspective to take it in. It was sooooo huge that only by living there could you become accustomed to the magnitude.

It cleaved our hearts, especially my husband (perhaps permanently scarring him) to leave. I haven't any regrets, but I do miss the constant reminders of our, as you say, 'place' as human in the grand scheme of things. My girlfriend said Alaska scared her, because it made her feel too small and insignificant. Whereas I .... I found my significance there.

I am not a city person, but if I had to choose a major city in the U.S. ... Anchorage would be in the top three.

I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. I have such a collection ... eagles, bears, moose *bliss-sigh*

^_^

plum likes this.
  8. Lily Rose

Blonde Black Bears - taken from a float plane across Cooks Inlet, towards Mt. Redoubt

P7260038a.jpg

Yukon - on the Alaska Hwy

P6100002R.jpg

P6100007R.jpg

^_^

plum and Lainey like this.
  9. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Aaaaaaah, what beautiful pictures I just found here. My engineer son was sent to Nikiski on a work placement from England, for several months, many years ago. He enjoyed the experience and the friendliness of the people. He was given a car to use, but he loved walking. When I asked him why he didn't walk to work, he just replied, "bears"! Seeing the pics above made me chuckle. :)

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I love the photos, especially the bear cubs at play.

11. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Lily Rose
    I've been surfing older posts on this site and found your great photos!
    Many years ago my hubby and I drove to Alaska through British Columbia, the ALCAN HWY was still not paved for about 1300 miles. I shot some wonderful pics of animals and scenery. We stayed in AK for about two months, soaking in the HUGE wilderness. We returned once, about 15 years later and it was amazing how things had changed, but even so, the beauty of this region was still breathtaking. We finally got to see Mt. McKinley, (our first trip was spent with much rain and clouds, so no mountain view when we were close). We camped at the base of the mountain and woke up every 45 minutes or so to check the clouds and finally around 5AM the mountain range appeared. A glorious scene of a pink shrouded range of mountains. We heard the mountains. The best way I can describe this is that they were humming. Not the wind hum, but a more mellow sound. We sat in awe for a few hours until the clouds once again came back and covered the range.
    Thanks for sharing these pics. They brought back wonderful memories.
    Maybe I should return.
    Lainey

12. Lily Rose

You just revealed your Super Power. You have the ability to hear the voices of our beautiful world. I believe this planet is a living being and we are mirrors of each other. What happens to the planet happens to us. What an amazing and magical experience! Living in Alaska awakened me to soul-shaking levels of consciousness and awareness.

I'm so very glad you shared this ... it is beautiful. And so are you <3

.... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

plum likes this.
  13. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Lainey! Thanks for opening this thread up again - I looked at those gorgeous photos and felt my heart opening!

Lily Rose and plum like this.
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Yes, I feel it such a privilege to have these insights to our world around us. We spoke to some of the residents of that area and did not find anyone who knew what we were speaking of.
    Time alone in the wild, along with an openness to the inner and outer worlds around us can help in awakening these instincts. Instincts that most have stuffed down do to the hubbub of everyday life. Children can often display these in"sights" but even they are getting more entrenched in our electronic world at an early age, which I believe hinders these capacities.

Lily Rose and nowtimecoach like this.
  15. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

That would be a great experience to have. The view is so adorable.