1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

After 4 years I have decided to try again

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by AndrewD, Mar 25, 2013.

1. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

Hi guys

I originally joined this forum and tried TMS in 2009. I had some success but started I think, overanalysing things. I think I wanted it to work so badlyI didn't know what was right or what wasnt. I also didn't think it wouldnt work on me as my child hood wasn't that bad and couldnt think about stuff then that affected me. I almost started making things up in my mind so I could let it go. I started seeing doctors and hypnotherapists and I think it just set me back and had no progrssion.

4 years later I still have the problems with RSI/TMS. I stopped seeing physical and mental doctors and just decided to "live" with it. Not sure what has bought me back here but I do think somebody is trying to tell me something so i am going to try again. Would love help on how to make this simple to my logical brain :)

Just started the 30 ay course as well, so lets see what happens

2. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Hi Andrew.

Welcome back!

I am returning after previous attempt with TMS.

In truth, I am a bit hesitant in this but know that the
    more I get diagnosed out in the 'health' world, the
    sicker I become.

Good luck.

Pete

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey there Andrew and Pete - we're glad to see you both here and "back" to working on your TMS (pun sort of intended :D)

The Structured Ed Program is definitely the best place to start, because it introduces you to resources beyond Dr. Sarno, encourages you to post here where you'll get great responses, and eventually you'll find a combination of techniques that work for you in this journey (which, some days, I'm still tempted to call a struggle:rolleyes:).

I find myself recommending certain forum links, books, and other resources so often, that I finally put a list on my profile, which I keep adding to, of course, because there's always so much great new stuff out there.

Keep posting, and keep us posted!

Jan

4. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome back, Andrew and Peter. I wish you both success this time around. The wiki and forum resources have been growing over the last couple of years so hope you find materials which guide, inform and give you guys confidence that you are on the right path. We must all get over that obstruction: Doubt.

Andrew, you might like to take a look at this (not sure if Jan listed it in her bio): http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Kpfmvnl-g8k&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Kpfmvnl-g8k Hilary is a long-standing member of the wiki, one of the founding members, I believe. She is also a former RSI/TMS sufferer from London.

5. Lori

Lori Well known member

You have nothing to lose but the pain! :)

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I am also one of those people who struggled with digging into their past to uncover deep hurts and repressed emotions. For me, TMS was more about finding ways to change my thoughts in the present. This is something that Alan Gordon actually discusses in depth in the most recent TMS webinar. It is totally worth a listen to.

AndrewD and Stock Trader like this.
  7. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

Thanks for all your feedback guys.
    I am now just finishing day 3 again and really going into this with a new outlook. Not noticed any change at all but we will see how it goes and I will definately be talking more on here

8. Stella

Stella Well known member

So glad you joined us. You will have an amazing journey. Just keep focusing on the psychological not the pain. You will figure it out.

Dr. David Clarke has a list of childhood issues that can physically impact adults: violence in the home, verbal abuse, sexual abuse, adult responsibilities given at too young an age, expectations too high as a child, abandonment and neglect, bullied and others I hear TMSers discuss tramatic impact from divorce, death in the family, and you will see others too. Just some ideas to get you thinking.

9. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

Thanks Stella. As I mentioned before, none of these happened to me. in fact I had a normal upbringing and I think it would be wrong of me to make things up. However, I have noticed certain things I do now that could be the reason why I get pain....and can link it back to childhood, just not really my parents. more school stuff