1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice: a nervous tooth

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Time2be, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

a little problem I have: in November I got a new crown on a front tooth because the old one had a little crack. I had no pain in the tooth and there was no corrosion at the tooth. When I got the new crown the tooth was very sensitive, cold, hot, sweet, sour, almost everything is felt. And then the tooth calms down and is almost not sensitive at all. Four weeks ago the dentist corrected the crown a bit and it fits better with the other teeth. I thought that this helped. But some days ago the sensitivity started again.
    Could that be TMS? Or should I put an end to this and get the root treated. It’s a functioning tooth, no root inflammation whatsoever, so it is a bit of a pity to kill the tooth.
    This is a minor problem ... I know. If you ask me what my major issue is: find out what makes me happy. Simply knowing what makes me happy and believe in me that I could live a happy life. Is there a connection? Maybe?

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Is there something that could explain it psychologically...? Have you 'bitten off more than you can (comfortably!) chew? Something you 'can't get your teeth into?' - and Louise Hay's list includes for teeth - Teeth: Represent decisions. – Teeth Problems: Longstanding indecisiveness. Inability to break down ideas for analysis and decisions. – Root Canal: Can’t bite into anything anymore. Root beliefs being destroyed. – Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Not giving yourself mental space to create a firm foundation.
    maybe one of these will 'chime' with you...? good luck,

Homestead Hermit likes this.
  3. Time2be

Thanks Hecate105! Yes, this resonates very well, amazing! Both, the indecisiveness and the ‘can’t bite into anything anymore’. Those are connected: if you don’t chose and try to control the future by doing everything at the same time, you end up totally exhausted. And cannot take anything anymore. I have to make decisions, not for getting rid of the tooth problem (which would be a nice side affect) but for the sake of my happiness and well being. My starting point is to allow me to feel - whatever comes up. It seems I have totally lost my inner compass, not knowing what I want and mixing it up with what i think I should want.
    So, thanks again! This was the right message at the right time.

4. Homestead Hermit

Homestead Hermit Peer Supporter

Wow, fascinating psychology!

@Time2be (love your name, by the way), I know this isn't 100% similar to your situation, but @hecate105 's statement resonated with me, also, as far as teeth are concerned. I had veneer and bridgework done when I was in junior high and have, throughout my life, had off and on sensitive teeth (which, if I'd known about TMS then, would most likely have concluded I was having stress of some sort associated with it). NOW, more than 20 years later, those veneers are starting to fall off (not caused by decay, but by the movement of my teeth) and I'm having them replaced with crowns. It comes at a time when I'm starting a new life, getting back into TMS work, hoping to allow myself the growth and space I need to "find" myself and start doing what I know I want to be doing.

I know it might seem like a stretch and it could just be coincidence that all this is happening at the same time, but I like the idea of everything (especially pain) having a meaning and happening for a reason :)

Time2be and hecate105 like this.
  5. Time2be

There might be connection! I thought about more concrete decision problems and Now the pain is almost gone. Amazing.

6. Time2be

I just want to follow up on this: pain almost gone - now I am conscious about the decisions I have to make.
    And to confirm homestead hermit and hecates remarks: I experienced this before, when I got married. I had doubts but talked myself into it. I had teeth pain for almoast two years. Soon afterwards I had stomach pain, sort of IBS and the bladder pain started. And now I clearing up this mess!

7. Homestead Hermit

Homestead Hermit Peer Supporter

@Time2be I'm SO happy to hear your are figuring things out and clearing out some of that pain :)

8. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi Time2Be, Good to hear you sorted out your problem. I recently had teeth sensitivity too caused by what was going on with me. I went to my dentist in early March for my checkup and told her I had developed sensitivity in my upper molars. She said I had some wearing down on 2 of my left molars and scheduled an appointment for 2 weeks later to file them down a bit so she could fill them. Two weeks later as she was getting me ready, I told her that within hours the sensitivity had gone away from my right side molars and concentrated in the two left side ones. It's like my brain didn't know where the problem was coming from so it was creating a problem everywhere.) In fact, the sensitivity had lessened quite a bit even in the left side ones.

She was so happy and said she wouldn't do anything. She hadn't felt good about filing down good teeth. Because I have been going to my dentist for about 35 years, she and her hygienist are like friends and I had told them all that had been going on in my life the past 6 months. The dentist said I was probably grinding my teeth from all the stress I had been going through the previous 3 months and that caused the sensitivity, so the problem was a physical one, but really tms. When I saw her 2 weeks later, a lot of the stress was eased up.

9. Time2be

So glad to hear that Eileen! Teeth are sensitive, yes. I am also happy that I found out what caused my tooth to react like this. Thanks for chiming in!

10. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

@hecate105 I would like to know the name of Louise Hay's book that talks about tooth pain/issues. Would you mind posting that? @EileenS glad to know that your dentist is so wonderful! That made me happy just reading that!

EileenS likes this.